My brother is building me some parallettes
I need to tell him how big distance between the bars should be!
I am pretty tiny - 5'3'' and ~115lbs. My hips are narrow.
What is the perfect distance?
My shoulders are 14.2 inches "apart", my hips a little less than that!
distance between parallettes
Started by katlinchen, April 23, 2014 · 7 Replies · 6,818 Views
Why don't you make two single bars? Then you can place them as you please, angled in or out, or however suits you. I think that's the standard way to do it.
Like Ravn says make 2 single ones. Its also easier to stash away when you are not using them.
Ravn said:Why don't you make two single bars? Then you can place them as you please, angled in or out, or however suits you. I think that's the standard way to do it.
Thanks for your advice!
But he already build everything, just needs to know the distance...! I prefer that it is one compact piece, because it's quite "high" so I can easily pike through to get to a handstand! And if I had two single ones I would be afraid of tilting!
Isn't there a measurement? I mean, what is ideal? I would also need to know if I am working with two single ones!
Shoulder width plus two hand widths is a decent heuristic. It should be wide enough for your hips to pass through without touching your hands, but when you hold a handstand your hands shouldn't be too much wider than your shoulders.
Official FIG specifications say between 42 to 52 cm between bars.
More here: https://www.fig-gymnastics.com/publicdir/rules/files/app-norms/Apparatus%20Norms%202014-e.pdf
No standard measurement. Usual rule is length of arm from fingers to elbow with an extra inch. Ends up being just a bit wider than shoulder width.
Thats what i did for my parrallettes