This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Skipping Prerequisites

Started by iamtylerleonard, April 23, 2014 · 4 Replies · 365 Views

iamtylerleonard

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3750-prerequisites/

 

In there, Joshua mentions that Coach normally has people work an L sit PRIOR to beginning any serious planche work. Well in Foundation, assuming you work only the Straddle Planche and not the Manna (or even assuming you built slower in the manna such as myself who struggled greatly at leg lifts at a certain point prior to working on L sits) you may very well begin very serious planche strength training prior to ever even touching a leg lift.

 

Why is that? It's got me very confused 

Daniel Burnham

The lsit is a good skill for planche in that it exposes the body to straight arm support and builds the strength for this. It is useful to have before planche because it means you have decent support strength. However foundation series has many planche progressions that will build this as part of the that route.

iamtylerleonard

Okay, thanks for the response. One more question I guess than.

 

In the thread I previously linked to it's mentioned coach requires 3x30 german hang before back lever work. I can easily do that, no discomfort. However (and I can't quote where so this may be a dumb question) Coach has said previously he does not want us working back lever because of the weight and pressure it puts into our joints until we have performed some straddle planche work from foundation. 

 

Now, this again is confusing me. If that's the case than why 1 is it in competitive gymnastics as low as level 4 and 2 why did coach say that back lever work is okay if you have this prerequisite previously and now it's no longer okay?

 

Again, I cannot quote or find the original post but I remember an individual expressed a large discomfort in his back lever and Coach and some moderators told him to work on planche work through the foundation series to build up the strength. Was this a one of a kind answer, only to this person? Or is there more to this I'm not seeing.

Daniel Burnham

The reccendation of not starting back lever work is something coach found to be necessary for adults. People were putting too large a strain on their elbows.

For kids it is a different story. A combination of being much lighter and better prepared through other exercises lets the competitive gymnast learn the back lever at a earlier stage.

iamtylerleonard

Okay, thank you very much for clearing that up