Form Check

Started by Fryk, May 4, 2009 · 5 Replies · 2,092 Views

Fryk

Hey

I've been doing this for a couple of months with focus on Gymnastic Strength Training™. Basicly I have been doing BL, FL and Planche coupled with a non-isometric exercise (x4 a week)

Thought I'd get some feedback to help the progress along.

I suspect that my form is some what off, especially on the back lever.

I have only uploaded 2 out of 4 sets per exercise, the two first were consistently worse than the later. ( I evaluated while working out, and therefore tried to fix some of the more obvious technical flaws on the later sets. Which in terms lead to consistently doing best on the last two sets.

- Back Lever

Progress from start till now:

I started out doing the straddle version as tuck and adv. seemed to "easy". During a work out I got a little cocky and tried to bring my legs together while in straddle. Since I had no "problems" keeping body straight, I reckoned that I was strong enough. Though I have my doubts looking at my form.

- Front Lever

Progress:

In the front lever I haven't noticed much improvement. - I haven't noticed much change.

- Planche

Progress:

I have gone from frogstand to adv. frogstand and now to tuck planche. Which in my book has been the biggest personal victory.

Blairbob

Your quick progress from frogstand to tuck planche tells me you were already strong enough for the tuck planche but it was more a matter of skill. Same with the BL.

As for the FL, I as well can hold the straight version for probably about as long as you and the adv tuck FL. I think this one will be slow to progress. It's more about strength I think than a lot of skill compared to planche.

Fryk

Yes, it does seem that my progress at least primarily have been due to skill improvement.

But from a technical point of view is there something from with the exercises?

Blairbob

Doh, I forgot to commend you on your form in the exercises. It almost looks as if you are allowing your elbows to slightly bend in the front lever. Sometimes I notice this with myself as well.

Looks good otherwise. I teach the tuck planche at first in a very compact tuck at first ( knees to chest ) but you probably don't need to tuck it this much right now because of your strength. A tighter tuck makes an easier tuck/ball planche.

Fryk

Yes, I noticed that as well, but since I could lift my butt of the floor I didn't think a further tuck would be needed. No point in making it easier...

Would it be an idea to add weight to the back lever at some point in the future? for instance if I reach the 15 second mark? Also which exercise should have primary focus when my primary long term goal is the cross?

Blairbob

After hitting that 15s, simply work the cross lower than horizontal eventually into the german hang. Stuff like german hang to back lever beginning with german hang to inverted pike (basket). Doing this in advanced tuck and straddle and so forth.

Make your ring support solid and slightly away from your body. Ring turned out dips and working the negative and holding that spot.

Wide arm muscle-ups eventually. I will start training for cross seriously when I have both levers done and my dip and support strength is quite strong.

I used to like to work pushup on rings to maltese with my feet on the floor or a block. Cross pullouts from a pushup position or doing them from an L on a block.