This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Inside squat is evil

Started by fairybekk, April 21, 2014 · 6 Replies · 325 Views

fairybekk

Actually, technically I think I was just stupid about it-- I have the range of motion easily, but maybe not the strength to support it. I've been doing it for 2 weeks, noticed knee pain after the first, but after the 2nd week (doing it both M and F) I can't go up stairs without pain (behind patella mainly). 

 

So I'm resting my legs until I can bear weight on them without wincing. And quite honestly, nervous to get back to inside squats. 

 

If this happens, do you skip? Carry on very carefully? Pretend you did but don't? Make up another exercise that doesn't cause pain? 

Joshua Slocum

Unless you have a pre-existing pathology, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to master inside squats.

 

One of the number one rules of bodyweight training is to immediately back off the volume/intensity of an exercise if it causes pain. Your knees are injured because you continued to train the movement with the same ROM despite the fact that it was causing you pain. You need to rest your knees and allow them to heal, then go back to mastering inside squats. Only next time, start with a stance that's not so wide, and very gradually build stance width and squat depth until you're able to comfortably perform these squats at a level equivalent to that shown in the video. 

Coach Sommer

You failed to follow the instructions I gave you regarding the inside squats; to only use half of the ROM you were capable of for the first few weeks to give your knees a chance to adapt.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

fairybekk

Oh dear, I think 'not reading the instructions' definitely falls under the 'stupid' category. *hangs head in shame*

 

Thanks for the quick replies. 

Roddy Cardona Valderrama

they are pretty evil im at 4x10 this week and i have a hard time walking after finishing my sets  :injured: , but like coach heal up and then attemp just half the rom for a few weeks good luck dude

Duff
Roddy Cardona Valderrama said:

they are pretty evil im at 4x10 this week and i have a hard time walking after finishing my sets  :injured: , but like coach heal up and then attemp just half the rom for a few weeks good luck dude

Mastery is only 5 reps.

 

EDIT: Unless you meant of side to side squats.

Roddy Cardona Valderrama

yea i meant im doing 4x10 of side to side squat then 5 reps of inside squat :)