This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090504

Started by Coach Sommer, May 4, 2009 · 8 Replies · 1,250 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090504.jpg

Perform 3 sets each of:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Negative 1/2 Reverse MU

1 Embedded PL + 5 Negative XR Strap HSPU

1 Embedded FL + 4 Single Leg HLL

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier curl/HSPU variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose an embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold for 5-10 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) ½ Rev MU are found on BtGB, pg 104. You will only be performing the negative portion of this movement where you lower as slowly as possible from shoulder stand through to inverted hang. Setting a partial false grip prior to your descent will greatly increase your control during this movement.

5) XR Strap HSPU are found on BtGB, pg 80. Once again you will only be performing the negative portion of this movement from a HS all the way down to shoulderstand. Be especially conscientious to not allow the speed of your descent to increase towards the bottom of the movement; rather strive to keep the tempo consistent throughout the entire ROM.

6) If necessary, either decrease the tempo of the single leg HLL or add weight to the ankles to increase load.

7) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

heinrich

Hi everyone!

My book has still not arrived. So I have one question about the reverse MU:

Do you come down with a forward roll or do you drop your feet on the other side in front of your face?

Coach Sommer
Do you come down with a forward roll or do you drop your feet on the other side in front of your face?

There is no roll of any sort involved with this movement. You simply lower straight down from a shoulderstand directly to an inverted hang, keeping the body vertical at all times, using the strength of your arms to control the descent. You should however keep your feet on the straps to aid with your balance.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

heinrich

Thanks a lot!

I'm sorry Coach Sommer. I was so fascinated by the imagination of a reverse MU that I missed the "INVERTED" hang :oops:

So that's one brutal negative bicepscurl :idea:

Sounds like a lot of pain and fun :D

Alex Dienaar

After one hour of messing around with getting into a proper shoulderstand, it was kind of obvious that my fear held be back again from being able to do the 1/2 Neg Muscle ups :<<< Did overcome my fear of getting into a ring handstand in that period though, so that was a big motivator for me :D.

Ended up doing :

/uncountable Ring Handstand holds (about 10-20 all ranging from 10-15 sec each).

3x XR Tuck Plance (6 sec, rings turned out) + 3 Ring HSPU Strap Negative (Just couldn't get on the rings for 5 in a row, almost fell on the 3rd one).

3x Back Lever adv tuck (8 sec, rings again) + 5 Adv Tuck Inverted Yewkis (went really easy :D)

3x Front Lever adv tuck (6 sec, felt extremely strong) + 4 One-legged HLL (hard xD, not full ROM etc)

10 Bridge Wall walks, almost hitting the ground, again fear holding me back past a certain point : <.

Overall, workout sucked and was really demotivated when I just couldn't get that 1/2 reverse muscle up negative. Until I finally found a way to get into a ring handstand (strapped ofc), and then had full energy to go again ^^. Felt great, everything felt easy except for getting on top of the rings. I seriously need to work those shoulderstands and lowering to get over my fear and just do a proper workout ><.

Coach Sommer
... was really demotivated when I just couldn't get that 1/2 reverse muscle up negative.

When one of the prescribed exercises is beyond your current capabilities or comfort level, it is always best to simply substitute it with another more appropriate movement from the same family. Remember that patience, consistency and prudence are the keys to long term progress.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley

I actually did these on my own last Friday (1/2 Reverse muscle up half, negative) and it was one of the most demanding bicep/curls movement I have ever done, if you go AS SLOWLY as possible without stopping. It also hit my traps hard as well. I also tried doing a full reverse muscle up - half but I failed and I didnt have anyone there to spot me so I just did the negatives instead.

I found that how you have to rotate the rings while going down through the transition to be the most difficult part (coordination wise), it took me a few tries to get it smooth.

I actually have been adding these into my ring strength series, just for a little variety.

Nobodystopsdblob

Perform 3 sets each of:

1 Embedded BL full back lever 10 count + 5 Negative 1/2 Reverse MU I do not feel comfortable kicking into a handstand on the rings so I just did curls from the invert.. terrible curls at that

1 Embedded PL 10 count, tuck, still having trouble getting to an advanced tuck + 5 Negative XR Strap HSPU did assisted (legs wrapped in the straps) hspus and then did the negative. Last round was just 4 and not 5.

1 Embedded FL advanced tuck, still not progressing much on this + 4 Single Leg HLL I think I was doing this wrong

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

General pain in right forearm still lingering.

playing catchup a bit after the move. Could not find my book this morning so I had to sort of guess on the single leg hll from the picture.

Ryan Hutchins

I could only complete 3 rounds due to a drop in quality. Once i got done with round 3 of negative reverse MU's.... i could barely press into shoulder stand and then i was so wobbly that i was bailing on the last part of the negative reverse MU. And the girls coach made a joke that almost killed me while i was on top of the rings. No Lie. :roll:

The 3 rounds were quality. Those reverse MU's were a beast!!! How do you ever progress to positive reverse MU's????

i didn't feel like putting the rings down to the ground for negative HSPU's so i just did 2 rounds of 3 XR HSPU and then the last round i did 5 negatives on the paralletes.

My arms are still sore now as of writing this post and cannot stay curled at all due to pain. My wrist finally got strong enough to support my back lever again. I can still do it fully extended.

My embeded moves were front lever, tuck planche, and back lever. 10 seconds each which had my arms wobbling something horrible near the end.

6 bridge wall walks.... sorry coach :oops: