This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE5 Upper Back Strain

Started by Devin Decoursey, April 20, 2014 · 2 Replies · 139 Views

Devin Decoursey

I was doing my second workout of week 12 on my first macrocyclic of PE5 with 5lbs and during the last seconds of my 3rd set I felt a mild "popping'" in my upper back as I attempted to increase RoM, just above where the thoracic spine meets the lumbar spine, between the very bottom portion of the scapula and radiating downward. There is a dull, persistent pain that is irritated by extension and feels a bit better with flexion, I.e. When I cave my chest in and round my upper back.

I did not ice and it has been over 12 hours. Swelling is minimal if not nonexistent. Pain is a 1-2, spiking to about a 6 if I do something to aggravate it. Akin to a strained neck from a night of "sleeping on it weird" I would say.

Not sure exactly what I expect to be told here other than to rest and maybe a bit of light active recovery, but any help is appreciated.

mitko

Also it could be some muscle spasm involved. Try to get some massaging on your back and also on the serratus and lats.

Devin Decoursey
mitko said:

Also it could be some muscle spasm involved. Try to get some massaging on your back and also on the serratus and lats.

Very true, perhaps I was hasty in calling it a strain. It seems that with foam rolling and a little light activity, the pain has subsided some.