This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Natural Leg Extension Form Check

Started by Duff, April 19, 2014 · 6 Replies · 245 Views

Duff

Here's my video of NLE.

 

 

Is my ROM ok? I know lose a bit in my second rep. I also use a counterweight(1,5 kg) because it allows me to go lower, otherwise i just fall backwards as my knees start to come of the floor.

Nash

I think using the weights to achieve ROM defeats the purpose of the movement. Instead try modifying how wide apart your feet and knees are to create a more solid base.

From my experience with this so far is when you first start this movement the mastery ROM seems impossible, but you'll be surprised how speedy the improvement is. Your knees and quads seem to adapt quickly week after week.

Always remind yourself of PPT on the way back and on the way forward. I ask myself whether I'm ppting 3 times each rep: at start, at end of ROM, and then at start again.

Duff
Nash said:

I think using the weights to achieve ROM defeats the purpose of the movement. Instead try modifying how wide apart your feet and knees are to create a more solid base.

From my experience with this so far is when you first start this movement the mastery ROM seems impossible, but you'll be surprised how speedy the improvement is. Your knees and quads seem to adapt quickly week after week.

Always remind yourself of PPT on the way back and on the way forward. I ask myself whether I'm ppting 3 times each rep: at start, at end of ROM, and then at start again.

Thanks. Having my knees wider added more ROM instantly and I can feel the quadriceps activate better. Just a little lower and it should be good to advance in a microcycle or so :). 

 

BTW, how are you finding the PE? Hard to keep upright? My right leg is very weak at the last few degrees of the movement if I stay upright, I just can't control those last few centimeters.

Alan Tseng

What I have notice is that this is basically the exact same movement pattern as a standing rectus femoris stretch (where you use your hand to move one to bring heel to back of your glutes)  I really believe that you need to be able to bring your heel to your glutes without assistance to be able to master this exercise

Duff
Hmms said:

What I have notice is that this is basically the exact same movement pattern as a standing rectus femoris stretch (where you use your hand to move one to bring heel to back of your glutes)  I really believe that you need to be able to bring your heel to your glutes without assistance to be able to master this exercise

Bringing your heel to glutes is also a matter of hamstring strength, so I'm not sure how this applies here. But I did get a nasty cramp for trying to do that, so thanks for that  :imad:. 

Alan Tseng

I know this exercise says it's an "extension" but I really believe it's a quad mobility and hamstring strength exercise. Even in the integrated mobility section, it says the iM for SLS is knee mobility and hamstring strength:

https://courses1.gymnasticbodies.com/f-im/

If you look at this exercise, you are bringing your glutes to your heels

Nash
Duff said:

 

BTW, how are you finding the PE? Hard to keep upright? My right leg is very weak at the last few degrees of the movement if I stay upright, I just can't control those last few centimeters.

Yeah, same here. The last 3 inches feel out of control which leads to a bounce.

 

What I've been doing is just following the prescribed progressions, but after I'm done, I do 3x3 skaters with support. I hold on to a chair and go down as slow as possible, then go up as slow as possible. I hold the chair on the side where my leg is up and try and use it as little as possible for support.

 

I'm hoping that by the time I get to week 9, my strength has caught up and maybe I can do mastery without having to repeat cycles.

 

From looking at the next PE I feel like this one has to be done 100% right otherwise the Hawaiians are going to suffer.