This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When did you get your first Yewki?

Started by Hardy Evans, April 18, 2014 · 5 Replies · 371 Views

Hardy Evans

I'm currently working 4x2 of TOPS pull, so not too far off from Yewkis, and yet I still dont even feel close to having the strength to do it. The MPP series has gone very well for me so far, and I've progressed quickly, but I feel very far off from being able to do a single full lay yewki.

At what point in foundation were you guys able to get a yewki? Usually my "1 rep max" is several progressions ahead of what I'm currently working, which is why I'm fearing a plateau. Thanks!

Jon Douglas

The first time I tried them was when I came up to them in F3. Didn't find them too bad; more technique than I expected though. Hollow your body somewhat while you hang so that you're pulling a solid line, hands need to get down near your hips so you need to pull the bar down in front of you.

Ensure your TOPS pulls are a totally straight body and slow first :) You want to make certain you are pulling through a bent arm FL at some point in them, and not relying totally on the pendulum of your legs :)

B1214N

Where are you at in your FL progressions? I got my first Yewki when I was at half lay or straddle FL years before there were the Foundation Courses. I didn't really train any bent arm pulling back then, but was able to do 17 pull-ups before I first started training the FL starting at tuck.

Hardy Evans

I'm working through negative front pulls. My straight arm pulling leaves a lot to be desired relative to bent arm. Could this be what's holding me back?

Hardy Evans

Just went back and watched myself doing TOPS pulls in the mirror. First rep is solid, but the second has a very small pike at the hips that I didn't notice when i wasn't watching myself. Think I'll go back to either 3x1 or 5x1, depending on how I feel my technique is.

 

Additionally, the athlete in the video starts from inverted hang, drops to bent arm chin hang, and then raises back to inverted. It seems like this method allows him to swing back past perpendicular at the bottom of the rep and thus use a little bit of momentum to raise to inverted. Would it be okay to just start from bent arm chin hang and raise up? I feel like the movement is more strict that way. 

AndrejV

Additionally, the athlete in the video starts from inverted hang, drops to bent arm chin hang, and then raises back to inverted. It seems like this method allows him to swing back past perpendicular at the bottom of the rep and thus use a little bit of momentum to raise to inverted. Would it be okay to just start from bent arm chin hang and raise up? I feel like the movement is more strict that way. 

 

I think you should do it like in the video. If the athlete is using a bit of a swing, you can and should use it to. :)