Youth Group Skill Development

Started by ryantherobot, May 3, 2009 · 1 Replies · 1,458 Views

ryantherobot

Well my background is Taekwondo but I recently was asked to work with a youth group in any way possible towards fitness. They don't have much resources so I think Taekwondo might be hard to do since it will quickly get boring for the kids without kick pads and sparring gear. I was thinking instead to teach them some of the stuff I myself have been learning.

Stretch

Warm-up with some basic kicks (front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, crescent kick...)

More intense exercise

Rolling

Plyometrics and Static Holds

Beginner combinations

Some more advanced stuff

I was thinking of mixing in what I know of gymnastics (not much but learning), taekwondo, extreme martial arts, and dancing

The biggest thing in my position is for the kids to be having fun compared to getting beaten which is what happens when they get home. I'm just looking for some advice on what skills I should start them with and how difficult it will be to coach them on some things I either never could do well or can't do anymore as I get older.

For example I use to be able to do a flying side kick over a car and kick multiple times.... that was when I was a kid on an exhibition team though.

Any advice on what skills to start with would be really great itll probably be a 1 or 2 hour class on Tuesdays and then hopefully a slightly longer class on either saturdays or sundays. Like I said their resources are extremely limited but I might be able to get the village to build some mushrooms and/or parrallel bars. The age range sounds like around 8-26.

I know full well the safety risks and all that I'm not concerned with that like I said these kids have nothing so if I'm determined to work with them on something and help build their confidence, self-esteem, discipline, and overall feeling of accomplishment so please only reply with constructive stuff.

Blairbob

My friend and I have thought of coming up with a kid's MA program that will start out with some calesthenics and basic tumbling ( rolling basically, HeS and HS and CW ) and then move on to basic punch/kick/block variations and then on to our form work with empty hands and weapons ( or soft weapons ). We don't have the money for padded kicking equipment but probably could come up with it. Until we did, the kids wouldn't be punching or kicking or blocking each other but the main instructor would probably act as the dummy. I'm not comfortable with the idea of poorly trained newbies trying to do it with each other. This is why in many systems, a senior student is paired with a newbie or junior student.

Until they have the ability to move well with the basics we couldn't really get them working with each other anyways. IMO, at least.

The WU would probably include combining these basics with leg squats, burpees/prone falls. Very similar to boxing stuff.

In my old karate class as a kid, we generally did 45m of calesthenics and stretching and then these cardio like basics. 50-100 kicks and punches and blocks, etc. In the last 45m we did our form and paired work.