This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE3,PE4 ,PE5 question on retraction - depression

Started by Spphysio, April 17, 2014 · 5 Replies · 218 Views

Spphysio

I know I may overanalyse things however I would like to know others opinion. Since lower trapezius is usually weaker in comparison to the other scapular muscles. Should we focus when performing Rows not only on on retraction but also on depression? 

 

What I am thinking is that by strengthening the lower trapezius through depression we will also be able not only to improve scapular stability which will give improved strength but also help later on better depressing the shoulders during the planche.

 

I know that depression will be more appliable during the Bulgarian Rows (RC/PE5)

thecolin

Is it possible to do a proper row without retraction and depression? Honest question, it's something I've always done. I don't count a rep unless I arch my thoracic spine.

Spphysio
thecolin said:

Is it possible to do a proper row without retraction and depression? Honest question, it's something I've always done. I don't count a rep unless I arch my thoracic spine.

What I mean is before starting the movement by pulling with the arms first retract and strongly Depress the shoulders and then pull. Of course if there was no depression at all the scapula could not maintained in neutral position so you could not perform a row. My question is mainly on whether there would be an extra benefit to focus on depression similarly to the planche.

thecolin

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe if all you were doing was push ups and rows it might be more of a concern. But with all of the other exercises and mobility, you get lots of work for your traps. Handstand mobility alone has done wonders for my trap strength and scap stability.

Alan Tseng
Spphysio said:

I know I may overanalyse things however I would like to know others opinion. Since lower trapezius is usually weaker in comparison to the other scapular muscles. Should we focus when performing Rows not only on on retraction but also on depression?

What I am thinking is that by strengthening the lower trapezius through depression we will also be able not only to improve scapular stability which will give improved strength but also help later on better depressing the shoulders during the planche.

I know that depression will be more appliable during the Bulgarian Rows (RC/PE5)

Natural scapula movement for Rows is retraction/elevation. Retraction/depression is more applicable to scapular pull-ups

Plus sPL and HBP all strengthen scapula depression. If you notice an exercise like pushup (protraction/depression), is the opposite of a row (retraction/elevation)

B1214N
Hmms said:

Natural scapula movement for Rows is retraction/elevation. Retraction/depression is more applicable to scapular pull-ups

Plus sPL and HBP all strengthen scapula depression. If you notice an exercise like pushup (protraction/depression), is the opposite of a row (retraction/elevation)

Rows should be done with retraction and depression, not elevation.