This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

[sPL/PE5] looking to refine my lean

Started by meras, April 16, 2014 · 12 Replies · 285 Views

meras

I am now starting my journey into leans and ppp and would like some tips on my form

 

howens

Are your feet and ankles together? Although im not to these yet I think they are supposed to be.

meras

Well my thighs and knees are together.

 

Looking at the video again I think my hips are too high... and as always, need more protraction.

LateStarter@46

I agree with you Meras. Nice wrist extension though :-)

dritar

It looks like some piking is going on due to you having more of an arch in the mid back when you stabilize the position. Try to have the mid back flatter as it's the upper back that's supposed to round due to protraction and depression. Look at the change in your body position in second 1 to second 2.

 

I'm my opinion this is hard to fix without some feedback from a mirror or someone yelling at you as it's tricky to do by proprioception alone when you're starting out. I myself am redoing the last 4 weeks till I fix this.

 

There's a topic by Adriano which has a lot of attention detail as he journeys through this exercise which has a ton of tips that are useful.

LateStarter@46

"Dritar! Pay attention! PROTRACT! ... What a load of rubbish, DO IT AGAIN ... Hollow body!! ... You're NOT done yet, 10 more reps! ... That's PATHETIC, START AGAIN!"

Was that nice? :-)

please return the favour :-)

I agree that in the absence of a training buddy, videos are the best form correcters.

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

"Dritar! Pay attention! PROTRACT! ... What a load of rubbish, DO IT AGAIN ... Hollow body!! ... You're NOT done yet, 10 more reps! ... That's PATHETIC, START AGAIN!"

Was that nice? :-)

please return the favour :-)

I agree that in the absence of a training buddy, videos are the best form correcters.

GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME YOU ORRIBLE LITTLE MAN. WHAT ARE YOU?

 

ORRIBLE LITTLE MAN SIR!

 

ORRIBLE LITTLE MAN!

meras

Thanks dritar, Adrianos topic has some great tips.


 


Alright, here's an update. I'm trying to keep my hips lower. I noticed that a proper lean has the hips slightly below the shoulder level (and I imagine that puts more pressure on the upper back).  


 


anywho, here’s tonight:



jaz

Yeah! Things are going well!

Scapular depression is lacking a bit. Try this : before pseudo planche, do a few PB support holds and depress at maximum. Memorize the movement and imitate it during PP. Don't forget to protract. Protraction + Depression are key

LateStarter@46

Heaps better :-), add in a little more PPT (hollow body).

B1214N
jaz said:

Yeah! Things are going well!

Scapular depression is lacking a bit. Try this : before pseudo planche, do a few PB support holds and depress at maximum. Memorize the movement and imitate it during PP. Don't forget to protract. Protraction + Depression are key

His scapular depression is fine. You have to remember that you can't fully depress your scapulae when you are fully protracted and vice-versa. Protraction is more important in the planche and maltese so that should be the bigger focus, as long as your shoulders aren't up to your ears or close to your ears then it is fine. Ideally the shoulders/scaps should be very close to full depression too.

 

I would say to meras to flatten your lower back more because you are arching slightly and pointing your toes is the better feet position for planche leans.

meras
B1214N said:

You have to remember that you can't fully depress your scapulae when you are fully protracted and vice-versa.

Thank you for pointing this out. Depression + protraction has been so confusing since I started trying leans.

 

I would say to meras to flatten your lower back more because you are arching slightly and pointing your toes is the better feet position for planche leans.

I'll work on my lower back next time.  There's so many little details in the lean that when i start to focus on one thing I forget about the other one.

 

How bad is it not to point my toes? My toe nails grow kind of upwards (and eat through all my socks) which makes supporting my legs on them extremely unpleasant. 

dritar

Much better in my opinion.