This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Why the change of progressions

Started by Art Vandelay, April 16, 2014 · 3 Replies · 623 Views

Art Vandelay

Hey Coach, was just wondering about why you've changed your progressions from tuck>adv tuck>straddle/single leg>full to the way it is now for the variations static holds.  Open tuck certainly feels a bit more novel and is closer to a full straddle.

 

On another note I was able to momentarily hold a supinated grip full back lever for the first time this week after mastering the earlier progressions (up to open tuck). Previously I could only occasionally do it with the easier pronated grip. 

Alessandro Mainente

Just to show my experience, i noticed (aside of all variations) that back lever works AGAINST shoulders extension. In the past i've started some manna exercises and i saw that as my bl improves , my manna was not improving, simply because the active shoulders girdle on manna was very low compared to bl tension. probably when manna is achieved you have far more strength in shoulders extension then in back lever. i think that the manna case is the best example of the necessity to finish F4 before some R1 elements. for that reason finished the RC and HBP i'll move over R1 rev mu progression but not on all the other elements.

Did you notice slow progress since you added the bl into your training?

Art Vandelay

I've only really done about 3 weeks of proper ring training, but the progress has been dramatic (I expect it to slow down a bit now). I have progressed in all other areas as well, especially handstands (but I've been focusing on them alot, as well as eating and training much more consistently). 

 

Muscle up: I could already do a handful but my false grip definitely needs work. My muscle ups have improved, can easily do 5 in a set now. Started with 4x5sec bent arm false grip hangs, this week I'm doing 4x20sec and it feels much more comfortable. These are really helping with my lingering medial epicondylitis/forearm flexor discomfort. I haven't been able to serve in tennis pain free for months (have tried to avoid serving), but its almost gone now.

 

Back Lever: Mastered the early back lever progressions first go, but got severe DOMS from 5x5 german hang pull outs the first time. No problems second time. Have pretty much got 5x10 open tuck BL but will spend another session or two on it.

 

I haven't got a strap for LARS but I can comfortably do 5x50 seconds ring plank now, started off with 4x20-30 I think. Will most likely be getting a strap for the flys as they look quite stressful.

Kai Ewert
Art Vandelay said:

 These are really helping with my lingering medial epicondylitis/forearm flexor discomfort. 

 

I found this very interesting. Did anybody else have that experience?