This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist Pushup Trouble

Started by Hardy Evans, April 15, 2014 · 5 Replies · 291 Views

Hardy Evans

Hi all,

 

I having trouble progressing on fingertip pushups and first knuckle pushups. I can do SE3 for each (knee pushups) at 5x5 with no momentum and good range of motion, but I don't have the strength to move on to the final SE. I've been stuck on these for a while :(

 

The other two are progressing nicely and without issue, and these two were fine until this roadblock. Tips or tricks?

Nash

Have you tried the final SEs with momentum?

I would do them with just enough momentum to perform, and then decrease it as you go.

Hardy Evans

I can, but I can't hold them at the top either, so I'm only fingers extended/first knuckle for a split second. But I guess it's still probably preferable to week after week of mastery sets at SE3 without making progress....

Nash

Hardy,

 

Not necessarily. Try and make the SE3 harder. Some ways I can think of is make sure there's 0 pike in the hips and slow down the movement by 50% of what you're used to.

 

>  I'm only fingers extended/first knuckle for a split second

 

This sounds like maybe you have mobility issues because once your first knuckle is extended, you should be able to sit on it. But if it's at an angle, then I can see how you'd collapse. Video?

 

 

-Nash

dritar

Making the knee pushups harder is the way to go. No pike, slow down. A few months ago I thought I had the wrist pushups at SE4 level, but I noticed (one of those ego biting moments where you check your footage) that I was using too much momentum as the stronger wrist was moving before the other. Went back to SE3 and stuck with it for a few cycles and was surprised at how much I had improved when I came back to SE4.

Art Vandelay

Try these as well as just playing around with it instead of doing specified set/reps (but making sure you do enough volume), worked well for me

* Static holds putting as much weight as you can on

* On your feet but 1 arm assisted pushups (so 1 hand will take most of the weight as the other moves through range)

* Static holds on your feet and try a few negatives or move through range with some momentum.

I recently got first knuckle and wrist pushups pretty quickly doing this (mostly attribute to the statics) after being stuck for a while on knees. Fingertip pushups are a bit harder but getting there.