This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can't breathe correctly during SL/PE2>iM

Started by Mark Anthony Le, April 15, 2014 · 2 Replies · 95 Views

Mark Anthony Le

I'm not sure why but I can't breathe during the mobility part of the exercise.

When I extend my foot outwards to the side I literally feel like there's a blockage in my lungs/stomach when I breathe.

I tried putting a pillow on top of the platform I'm lying on to no avail.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

KibboKift

Hi Mark

 

Did you by any chance mean to type SPl/PE2>iM? Subtle difference, but completely different exercise. I'll assume that's what you meant.

 

I'm going to suggest that, since your body is not used to trying to get into this position, it is "throwing everything at it" in an effort to match the ROM shown in the video. At some point, certain muscles in your abdomen and thorax are recruited which, when tense, prevent you from breathing. The folllowing may (or may not :)) help:

 

- Grip the platform firmly with your hands. This will minimise the extra work your core has to do to remain stable as you move.

 

- I find padding the platform more comfortable, but this is more to prevent chafing as I move my legs

 

- I do tend to tense my stomach muscles somewhat. This gives my body a firm base to work from, but I can still breathe. Try breathing in and out with your stomach muscles tense and held static to see what I mean.

 

- Rather than trying to match the ROM in the video straight away, focus instead on lifting with the glutes. A good cue is to reach backwards with the toes; not thinking too much about lifiting the leg. The lower back should remain neutral and only play a supporting role in the lift.

 

- Don't be too concerned if you cannot demonstrate full ROM or the prescribed reps immediately. These will both improve over time.

Mark Anthony Le

Haha thanks!

sPL was exactly what I meant. I dont know what I was thinking when I mistyped that.

In regards to your suggestion, I'll give it a try. I feel like I could complete the exercise, the only thing that's holding me back would be the breathing part.

I can't make it past 4 reps without dying to breathe, and I've been through my fair share of heavy deads and squats with deep abdominal breathing.

Gymnasts really are a complete different breed...