This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

About the theory behind week 11

Started by emilianop, April 15, 2014 · 6 Replies · 299 Views

emilianop

Hi all,

 

  some periodization question here for Coach or anyone proficient enough to provide answers.

 

I was wondering why for our F1 progressions, we have 4 sets of 100% in week 10 and then a straight jump to 5x100% in week 11.

Just to be clear, I'm not "doubting" it, I've seen it in action and it's working, I was just wondering how comes that a certain point you're expected do a jump of one extra set with same reps as before.

 

I also noticed that it's a total 20% increase in volume, which is the same as week10-to-week11, but it's stored on an extra set rather than accumulating the existing ones.

Despite being the same increase in volume tho, I KINDA feel is not quite the same to go up 20% with same number of sets instead of additional ones, is this correct?

Conversely would it make it equivalent if you'd just do:

  • week  9: 3x100%
  • week 10: 4x100%
  • week 11: 5x100%

I don't think so, right?

 

Hope it makes sense, it's just curiosity for personal knowledge...

Alan Tseng

intentionally forces you to work more on your mobility

emilianop
Hmms said:

intentionally forces you to work more on your mobility

uhu? just that?

Doesn't sound right, at that point I could do 10 sets of 50%, I'd train even more mobility, but the strength would be affected...

Alan Tseng
maolu said:

uhu? just that?

Doesn't sound right, at that point I could do 10 sets of 50%, I'd train even more mobility, but the strength would be affected...

tendons requires high-reps but at the same time to properly strengthen them they have to be much higher than 50% of your rep max.

 

though mobility i guess wasn't the right word, i wasn't implying just the iM itself since strength elements also requires mobility.  joint health is more appropriately to use i guess

john_c

If it's working, isn't that the answer ?

Michael Taylor

Look at the 12 week progression as a whole.

Both sets and reps per set are being managed together through even intensity jumps so that they are both reached by the end of the progression

Riku Calderón

I do always 5 sets.