This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Combining programs

Started by Jacqui Collins, April 13, 2014 · 13 Replies · 615 Views

Jacqui Collins

I'm wondering if people are only doing GB or are they combining with other programs?

I am doing GB and an olympic weightlifting program ... It's tough but enjoyable. I think they compliment each other well.

Any else with similar experiences?

Gray

F1+H1 mixed with Simple and Sinister from StrongFirst - acronym S&S

3x week - F1, with 24 kg Kettlebell S&S, as a warm up

2xweek - H1 with 32 kg kettlebell S&S, as a warm up

Limbering everyday, stretching twice a week. Light running, cycling, swimming just for fun during the week without a certain goal as an active recovery.

Twice a month - Heavy rucking with 25-30 kg backpack for 20-30 km.

Main focus - repairing my body with Gymnastics, Kettlebells are just for heavy lifting feeling, and S&S is just fast and not that taxing to sabotage my GST progress. I'm learning to enjoy my practice sessions and focusing more on my body.

m6shifter

after 1 year now with f1 I just stick with it. I add some more leg work but not much more. It would be fun to try a workout like 14.5 crossfit open workout. I just don't want to be too tired for my f1 workout. I add my own cardio workouts every now and then though.

Jacqui Collins
m6shifter said:

It would be fun to try a workout like 14.5 crossfit open workout.

Don't try 14.5 .... Mark did it and it looked horrible!! He couldn't move his triceps for two weeks!!!

Mark Collins
m6shifter said:

after 1 year now with f1 I just stick with it. I add some more leg work but not much more. It would be fun to try a workout like 14.5 crossfit open workout. I just don't want to be too tired for my f1 workout. I add my own cardio workouts every now and then though.

There is nothing fun about that workout. My triceps were swollen for a week and I didn't get back my strength for two weeks. No wonder I haven't done Crossfit since then.

The Hansenator

Now that the snow melted I've started biking. It's been a couple of years but I hope to build up to some big rides this year.

m6shifter

 

There is nothing fun about that workout. My triceps were swollen for a week and I didn't get back my strength for two weeks. No wonder I haven't done Crossfit since then.

I enjoy f1 too much for that to happen. That's why I did not do it. F1 is plenty for me right now

~Atticus

I do hatha yoga (Bikram) 3x a week. It's good for cleansing my internal system, organs, etc.

dritar

It's doable, but do not fall into the trap of thinking it works based on the first few months. Serious training programs tend to have some ramp up in intensity and volume and it can be hard to deal with such increases in both programs. Hard to serve 2 masters. 

 

In my opinion if you want to focus on Foundation you can do other things but I would not do the other things as a program, specially if it's something that also focuses on conditioning I would have more in have fun mindset.

MT Nordic

For me its endurance sports like trail running and cross country skiing.  Just back from a 42 mile run traversing the Grand Canyon round trip.  It does impede my progress in foundation, but i'm still improving steadily.  I don't want to ONLY do GST, though i love it and it's helped my athletic performance significantly!  I say do what you love, and keep the GST to keep you well rounded, fit and mobile. 

MattProulx

I only do F/H right now, but eventually would like to do more stuff, I have always had lots of power in my legs and would like to do something with it also. I also have a big interest in handbalancing TBH my end goal is not to be a gymnast, or do an iron cross, so I don't really serve any master, I try to find the right tools and learn how to utilize them to reach my goals. F/H happens to be those right tools ATM. 

Art Vandelay
Mark Collins said:

There is nothing fun about that workout. My triceps were swollen for a week and I didn't get back my strength for two weeks. No wonder I haven't done Crossfit since then.

What time did you get Mark?

 

My crossfit friend showed me this, and I did it in about 15m20. Prior to this I had completed maybe 20 burpees in my life and had never done squat thrusters before. Also did 30min handstand workout earlier in the day. Only got DOMS In my legs :D

 

First time I've done any crossfit. Not sure if I liked it. Good cardio I guess.

Mark Collins

Well done Chris. I got 19mins 50secs. You got a good score for your first ever CF workout.

bso

I deadlift sometimes (no program, all submaximal by feel).

I swing KBs sometimes... anywhere from 25 - 100 reps in a session.

I run 2-4 days/week ... usually 2.5 - 3.5km/run.

I ride my bike for transportation sometimes.

 

And otherwise, I do whatever I feel like doing.

 

But the only program I'm following is gymnastic bodies.

 

Mashing programs together does not usually work unless someone who knows what they're doing is doing it for you.