Japanese Push-ups

Started by B1214N, April 13, 2014 · 15 Replies · 12,673 Views

Jon Douglas

Scap shrugs in with wide grip sort of pseudo-demi malt, no lean though.  I'm inclined to say good for shoulder positioning under load, harder on the arms, but in terms of scap strength little difference to the shrugs; I could be wrong though.

Ravn
Jon Douglas said:

Scap shrugs in with wide grip sort of pseudo-demi malt, no lean though.  I'm inclined to say good for shoulder positioning under load, harder on the arms, but in terms of scap strength little difference to the shrugs; I could be wrong though.

I'd guess the serratus anterior would be under much greater load than in scap pushups.

Guest

Elbow resilience as well.

Flavio85

At the shoulder it's a pure horizontal adduction, working mainly pects and anterior deltoid; because the elbows are locked it also puts a lot of strain on the biceps tendon. It also works your fingers and wrist flexors.

Evilllamas

Like flavio85 said- this looks like mainly a pec major exercise, similar to ring flyes.

 

I'm looking forward to giving these a go, since until you reach the level of iron cross, abduction movements like this are quite uncommon in gymnastic style training. 

B1214N
Evilllamas said:

Like flavio85 said- this looks like mainly a pec major exercise, similar to ring flyes.

 

I'm looking forward to giving these a go, since until you reach the level of iron cross, abduction movements like this are quite uncommon in gymnastic style training. 

This is not abduction; it is transverse flexion like chest flyes. The ROM for this is small so this is inferior to ring flyes, but can be done on floor.

 

Going a bit off-topic, how do you strengthen the fingers to do this exercise as well as things like planche on fingertips?

Daniel Burnham

For finger strength I follows a similar path to gaining straight arm strength. Gradually increase static load on fingers. I started with fingertip push-ups and moved to fingertip planche leans. I learned it to do a vsit press's handstand as I didn't have the compression to transition. The extra inch got me through it.

B1214N

Thanks, my fingers are very weak. I have to start with the normal push-up support. Would I have to balance out fingertip strength in support skills with finger strength in hanging or are they pretty much the same type of finger strength?

WitnessTheFitness

I saw the thread title and imagined pushups over a plate of sushi, where at the bottom of each rep you eat a piece for self reward. Little dissapointed now :P

Jon Douglas
WitnessTheFitness said:

I saw the thread title and imagined pushups over a plate of sushi, where at the bottom of each rep you eat a piece for self reward. Little dissapointed now :P

That image reminds me of Josh Slocum doing the puppy planche impression a while back...

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

That image reminds me of Josh Slocum doing the puppy planche impression a while back...

don't....tell me he ate something while in a PL....

B1214N

Wow I found that it's easy to build finger strength fast. I went from barely able to hold a push-up support position on fingertips to being able to full planche on fingertips within a week. My finger strength training volume was low too. Could it be that it doesn't really require much finger strength from a fingertip push-up support position to a fingertip full planche?

Daniel Burnham
B1214N said:

Wow I found that it's easy to build finger strength fast. I went from barely able to hold a push-up support position on fingertips to being able to full planche on fingertips within a week. My finger strength training volume was low too. Could it be that it doesn't really require much finger strength from a fingertip push-up support position to a fingertip full planche?

Be careful ramping up volume. Finger strength is carried mainly from muscles on the hand rather than the fingers themselves and the pressure is held on connective tissue.

But yes I have noticed good gains in a short amount of time especially if you haven't trained them before. For someone like a climber gains would come much slower.

B1214N

Do you think a climber won't even have a tough time doing support skills on fingertips since they can hang on one finger or is that a different type of finger strength?

Daniel Burnham
B1214N said:

Do you think a climber won't even have a tough time doing support skills on fingertips since they can hang on one finger or is that a different type of finger strength?

Probably a bit different now that I think about it. Maybe not the best example :)