This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginning H1 - Suggestions and more

Started by federicoC, April 12, 2014 · 14 Replies · 376 Views

federicoC

Dear H1 forum members,

 

this topic is meant to complement my "Beginning F1, Suggestions and more" discussion in the F1 forum. While I started F1 in Aug 2013, I just started H1 one month ago and completed my first micro cycle yesterday.

 

My feeling is that I mastered WP/PE1 and FTP/PE1, while I really lack ROM on FKP/PE1 and WR/PE1.

In addition, I reached 5x40s of HS/PE1, but somehow I have the feeling I'm doing something wrong. From time to time, I feel the movement to be heavy on my neck (which implies my head positioning might be wrong) or I get some lower back pain. 

 

I know that only a video can tell. However, at the gym where I train regularly I can only record my form is no one is around (it's some sort of "policy"). On the Im, I probably proceeded too fast and I have the feeling a shoulder inflammation I feel since couple of days might originate from this. 

 

How do you warmup for an H1 session if you did not work your upper body - e.g. with F1 - before?

Thanks a lot and I hope this discussion can turn out to be as useful as it's sibling in the F1 forum.

 

Federico

 

Duff

Couldn't you film PE1/PE1<iM at home, since they don't require special equipment?

 

I usually warm up as I would for F work, except I stretch my neck, traps and any muscle limiting my ROM in PE2 iM(anterior deltoid, pecs, biceps).

federicoC

In principle yes, but for example I don't have a bar for the Im at home.

I will record them next week, when it will be Easter break. I'll try to record all elements, including the wrist stretches, and then see what you guys think about it.

Keilani Gutierrez
federicoC said:

In principle yes, but for example I don't have a bar for the Im at home.

I will record them next week, when it will be Easter break. I'll try to record all elements, including the wrist stretches, and then see what you guys think about it.

one weighted plate(or object of similar weight) can be used if you're a McGyver. I use a bamboo stick marked with tape and some weight plates :) Jon used a broomstick with ankle weights and dumbbells looped through the ankle weights for mastering dislocates. 

 

there are some pretty quick fixes to the shoulder iM's, so it won't be too hard to whip something up together

Duff
federicoC said:

In principle yes, but for example I don't have a bar for the Im at home.

I will record them next week, when it will be Easter break. I'll try to record all elements, including the wrist stretches, and then see what you guys think about it.

Broomstick + bottle of water + ductape = good enough ;)

federicoC

I see, thanks for the ideas but at home (in Italy) I do have proper equipment so I don't need to resort to this.

Is there anything particularly useful you'd recommend to someone who just started his H1 work? I can tell you right away that I'm not one of this HS geeks and I never managed - even when I was a kid - to push myself to a HS position against a wall.

Keilani Gutierrez

a yoga mat, a wall and weighted stick are all that's needed for quite a while. :) 

Duff
federicoC said:

I see, thanks for the ideas but at home (in Italy) I do have proper equipment so I don't need to resort to this.

Is there anything particularly useful you'd recommend to someone who just started his H1 work? I can tell you right away that I'm not one of this HS geeks and I never managed - even when I was a kid - to push myself to a HS position against a wall.

Don't be afraid to play around with handstands after your workout. Against the wall, trying to do freestanding etc. I too couldn't do a wall handstand as a kid and I was very afraid to try it. I even had to do PE2 against a wall at first. Now, I can almost do a hands to wall handstand. I tried it a couple of times after my H1 sessions, holding it for a couple of seconds and just focusing on getting closer to the wall, centimeter by centimeter. I'm also trying to learn how to kick up, I can almost do it :)

 

Just remember that this is play only after your work has been done.

federicoC

I followed your suggestions. 

Here you can find my first form check (this is from the deload week, though)

 

 

Comments welcome

federicoC

Any comment on the previous elements?

Moved on today, managed to get a 4x48s PE1.

I'm repeating PE1 for the FKP and WP elements, moved to PE2 (4x4) for the others. It was quite OK but I will certainly need more input from you guys, i.e. I should start keeping a log as I do in the F1 forum. 

 

More on this tomorrow, then.

federicoC

Feedbacks on the video?

 

I did H1 today. I moved to PE2 in some elements this week, everything fine.

On HS/PE1 I'm now at 4x60s and it's coming out reasonably well. I think I will do a second microcycle here to ensure I'm getting used to it and improve still on my form if required.

Jay B.
federicoC said:

Dear H1 forum members,

 

this topic is meant to complement my "Beginning F1, Suggestions and more" discussion in the F1 forum. While I started F1 in Aug 2013, I just started H1 one month ago and completed my first micro cycle yesterday.

 

My feeling is that I mastered WP/PE1 and FTP/PE1, while I really lack ROM on FKP/PE1 and WR/PE1.

In addition, I reached 5x40s of HS/PE1, but somehow I have the feeling I'm doing something wrong. From time to time, I feel the movement to be heavy on my neck (which implies my head positioning might be wrong) or I get some lower back pain. 

 

I know that only a video can tell. However, at the gym where I train regularly I can only record my form is no one is around (it's some sort of "policy"). On the Im, I probably proceeded too fast and I have the feeling a shoulder inflammation I feel since couple of days might originate from this. 

 

How do you warmup for an H1 session if you did not work your upper body - e.g. with F1 - before?

Thanks a lot and I hope this discussion can turn out to be as useful as it's sibling in the F1 forum.

 

Federico

What about paying a $20 walk-in fee and video taping your mastery attempts at a different gym? Can you do them all in one session? This is how I would solve the problem.

federicoC

Possible. I will figure out a reasonable way.

 

Today I entered mastery week for H1. The wrist exercises feel always great and I could already make steadily improvements. I mastered 5x60" of HS/PE1. However, I'm not yet there with the Im. 

 

I gradually worked on reducing the distance between my hands. I focus on not to rotate my shoulders, pressing up and activate my traps (I feel it there). I got a ROM which matches the video but with a larger grip than demonstrated. Now, two questions:

 

1) I'm using a fitness bar for this movement, so I think it's 3-4kg. Should I increase the weight?

2) First adding weight or first getting mastery grip?

 

Another microcycle could bring me much closer to mastery requirement on this element. A few of other PEs can now move to PE3.

Thanks!

Duff

1) That's plenty enough for mastery. 2,5 would be enough.

 

2) First get the grip to shoulder width, then add weight. Repeat ad nauseam in your warmup after you move on :).

federicoC

Thank you! Sure, point #2 was clearly implicit, this is what I do for my F1 work as well.