Is it possible to complete Mastery but not have the range of motion as the athlete in the video? I am at week 6 and holding the corresponding times but my range of motion is not even close to the athlete's range of motion in the ABH video. Thanks.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
ABH Mastery without Range of Motion Like In the Video
Started by Mike71, April 12, 2014 · 6 Replies · 332 Views
Probably depends on how far off you are. Most of us just rock back the time to whatever we can hold at full ROM and go from there. I'm working a 30s template so the jumps aren't that big and I can actually get some quality work in without going to failure every time.
Hey Mike,
I was in the same position as you. I managed to work myself all the way up to 5x60s with less than required rom. After realising that rom was lacking I went all the way back to week 1 and really focussed on improving my rom by stretching and foam rolling before the exercise. Am on week 6 too now with the new improved look ![]()
But to answer your question you need to have the same range of motion as the athlete in the video to consider it as mastery.
Thanks for the feedback guys!! I will scale back my time and work on increasing my ROM.
In general you must demonstrate the ROM shown in the video.
TANSTAAFL said:Probably depends on how far off you are. Most of us just rock back the time to whatever we can hold at full ROM and go from there. I'm working a 30s template so the jumps aren't that big and I can actually get some quality work in without going to failure every time.
That's a great idea. I'm doing something a little different for a similar effect of slower progression. I just completed block 2, which is 4x24s, 4x36s, 5x36s, but now instead of doing block 3 which is 4x48s, 4x60s, 5x60s, I'm going to do 4x36s, 4x48s, 5x48s, so I guess block 2.5 haha.
Yeah, there are many ways to cut the cookie. Here's some more reading:
You can also create your own custom templates suiting your progress by dividing the weeks reps/seconds by the mastery reps/seconds and then multiply it again by the new mastery amount and round the number if necessary. So if for example on the 60s template the jump from 5x36s to 4x48s and 4(5)x60s is to much you could create a 45s template, which gives you from week 9-12 4x36, 4x45, 5x45s and 5x22s. A 50s Mastery Template would be 4x40,4x50,5x50 and 4x25 etc. I think its a nice way of staying within the template structure of the book but fine-tuning it to suit ones own needs and progress.
Cheers,
Michael
Also this:
Michael Taylor said:Erik,
Don't limit yourself to a single approach
I have used variations of all three with success, depending upon the exercise, the rep count and where I have failed in the micro cycle
For example:
- with FL/PE2 I have run a micro cycle of weeks 5+, and 5++ (my notation), where I have gone to 30 reps and not 36 for the prescribed sets. After deload, I repeat week 5 at 30 reps then go on to week 6 at 36 reps as scheduled. I had found here that the initial jump of 12 reps was too much so broke it down into two micro cycles
- on RC/PE2, I failed at week 9 and I was unlikely to push through to week 11, so I dropped the next week to week 6 prescriptions and cycled on from there (deload kept in line, reps reduced to build up again)
- next time through, I failed again at week 9, RC/PE2, but was ever so close, so I continued to repeat that week (my notation - week 9r) until deload week (at this point I just needed to keep nudging it little by little as I felt I was almost there and not about to burn out on the reps)
- I have now succeeded at 4x12 reps, but can't get 4x15! So I am currently repeating week 10 until deload, adding reps gradually and where I can. This morning I did 15, 15 , 13, 9. I will next micro cycle drop back to week 9 and rebuild
So - try them all!! Find what works for you in which scenario