This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tuck ups mastery PLUS guess what movie is on in the background!

Started by kimura, April 11, 2014 · 17 Replies · 366 Views

kimura

Happy to report that I mastered tuck ups after like five months of work! My abs are significantly stronger and more developed and I attribute it to this exercise! I really enjoyed this one, can't imagine what sort of ab development I can expect by the time I master hanging leg lifts if this is what has come from just PE1.

Just to be sure I have it mastered, here's a video of my form. First person to say what movie is on in the background gets my respect! Lol.

Stiff leg windmills

Once again, I love GST! I love the feeling of mastering an exercise. Thanks in advance.

gohei_

I say Indepedence day!

Wait no I'm stupid. Men in black lol.

 

Also, the tuck-ups look really nice. But to my eyes there needs to be slightly more compression to match the course demo (it might still be acceptable though, I'm no expert), and your arms aren't touching the ground between reps  ;)

TANSTAAFL

They both look really good to me. I would even say you can speed up the tuck-ups a bit as long as you maintain control and balance.

Eric Baum

Looks good enough for me =]

Riku Calderón

Looks good!

Ravn

Looks good. That dumbell though, it's not very macho. At least it isn't pink, but a bit more weight would do you good... ;)

federicoC

it looks good to me, although I think you are supposed to go back to the initial position at every rep.

I mastered tuck ups this week as well. However, on the windmills it seems like you are using a very light weight + on some reps I don't see a full 360 degrees rotation of the DB. Can you guys also cross-compare his form with mine and tell me what you think? (see the last video I posted on the "Beginning F1: suggestions and more" discussion)

Andre737

Looks good, but I agree with gohei_ that there should be a little more compression.Knees should touch chest.The last few inches are the toughest ones!In my case it helps stretching the hip flexor before doing tuck ups.

MT Nordic

5 months, my friend, with good results.  I'd move on and really focus on the compression noted above in the straddle ups.  These you will love and hate, in varying amounts, until they too are mastered.  They tend to be a tough one for folks, so be prepared for another long bout, which you will overcome...

kimura
gohei_ said:

I say Indepedence day!

Wait no I'm stupid. Men in black lol.

Also, the tuck-ups look really nice. But to my eyes there needs to be slightly more compression to match the course demo (it might still be acceptable though, I'm no expert), and your arms aren't touching the ground between reps ;)

Haha glad you corrected that, good job on the movie! As far as the compression, I did see that in the demo he gets closer to his chest... I feel like I physically hit a block when I get to that point, maybe my legs are bigger than his? I have big thighs. Either way, based on the general consensus I'm going to move on and keep working on my compression by keeping this in my warmup and of course through straddle ups.

As far as my arms go, I know they are not completely flat but I'm working on shoulder mobility with HS1 and I'm not sure spending another 6 months on tuck ups because of my shoulder mobility is the best use of my time, because other areas focus on shoulder mobility. If I'm wrong on that someone more experienced can let me know of course!

Thanks for your reply!

kimura
Ravn said:

Looks good. That dumbell though, it's not very macho. At least it isn't pink, but a bit more weight would do you good... ;)

Lol! I do it with an 8 or 10 usually but all I have at home is that 5 pounder.

kimura
federicoC said:

it looks good to me, although I think you are supposed to go back to the initial position at every rep.

I mastered tuck ups this week as well. However, on the windmills it seems like you are using a very light weight + on some reps I don't see a full 360 degrees rotation of the DB. Can you guys also cross-compare his form with mine and tell me what you think? (see the last video I posted on the "Beginning F1: suggestions and more" discussion)

Congratulations! I usually use an 8 or 10 on SLWM but that's a 5. Thanks for the input, I will make sure to get full rotation when I do those, I'll probably keep them in my warmup for awhile.

TANSTAAFL
kimura said:

Congratulations! I usually use an 8 or 10 on SLWM but that's a 5. Thanks for the input, I will make sure to get full rotation when I do those, I'll probably keep them in my warmup for awhile.

According to Slizzardman, aka Naterman, you will keep these in your WU for-ev-er (said in the style of The Sandlot of course).

kimura
Andre737 said:

Looks good, but I agree with gohei_ that there should be a little more compression.Knees should touch chest.The last few inches are the toughest ones!In my case it helps stretching the hip flexor before doing tuck ups.

If you review the demo video and pictures, the athlete does not touch his knees to his chest. I would say my form is comparable to the picture, no? He compresses a bit more in the video

kimura
MT Nordic said:

5 months, my friend, with good results. I'd move on and really focus on the compression noted above in the straddle ups. These you will love and hate, in varying amounts, until they too are mastered. They tend to be a tough one for folks, so be prepared for another long bout, which you will overcome...

Thank you for the encouragement! I look forward to the new challenge. I have been doing seated straddle leg lifts as a warmup to help prepare me for straddle ups so hopefully that helps some.

federicoC

I will also work on my compression further. However, the straddle ups I'm sure will take a while. I have no prior exposure to straddle position and I have to keep going with my hamstrings mobility if I want to master this.

TANSTAAFL
kimura said:

If you review the demo video and pictures, the athlete does not touch his knees to his chest. I would say my form is comparable to the picture, no? He compresses a bit more in the video

To me (which is forever meaningless) it looks like you have enough for mastery, knowing that you will be keeping these in your WU and focusing on compression for the rest of your gymnastics life.

Andre737
kimura said:

If you review the demo video and pictures, the athlete does not touch his knees to his chest. I would say my form is comparable to the picture, no? He compresses a bit more in the video

I agree!I was confused with the focus point: "pull the knees all the way to the chest" and thought knees have to touch chest.