This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Working up to SL/SE9

Started by Jon Douglas, April 10, 2014 · 7 Replies · 406 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

My approach for this for this past cycle since moving on from negatives has been partials, with the result that as of my (currently winding up) deload week, I have multiple reps of 2/3 range-- inverted support to SL and back. I can't get my feet down to the ground yet with a straight-body pull back to inv support. Each set starts with an assisted rep (with a kick, which I try to keep minimal) and ends with a controlled negative through to fully vertical in addition to the reps.

 

My plan is to carry on to wk 5 programming this week (4x2, not easy but fine to train) and continue working up to 5x5 at this range before focusing on extending the range. Just wondering whether I am best off adding reps before extending ROM, or keeping the reps at wk 1-3 to work up to the full ROM. I can see the logic in both; this is plenty hard for me at the moment.

 

I already have SE10 feeling fine, so this is the last SL element for me and it's difficult enough that I am happy to take as long as it takes to get these perfect. If that means running a full 12 weeks on flag-inv support and another 12 on the full movement, that's 100% fine with me-- it'll give everything else a chance to catch up.

 

Thanks :)

Alessandro Mainente

To avoid injury is better build up partial rom if is not possible to complete at least one rep, conquer 5x5 on partial rom, then retest your mastery on full rom. I used that approach in hs se13 and works well. As you move close to reduced rom mastery you will move faster on the full rom mastery!

Alessandro Mainente

Consider always that what you cannot effectively have under physical control is something not explored by SNC and for definition not safe, or better not yet! question of time! ;)  

Jon Douglas

Thanks Alex, that was my thought process too :) SL pulls are absolute magic on the shoulders, they feel as good as I thought they would :D

Jon Douglas

Clarification with todays training-- can lower to SL and pull back up for reps, and can pull from block hang to about 45 or a bit higher. Missing strength in that angle between 45-90 degrees...is it lacking strength, or is it lacking grit to push through the pressure at that point...?

We shall see. OH YES. WE. SHALL. SEE.

Alessandro Mainente

The technique plays a big role, you will find that partially rotate the body upward makes the pressing easier. so from SL block press outward and sideward then continue to press sideward . i think is not possible for biomechanic of shoulder joint press upward while you maintain a side lever position, you need to turn so that the upper arm can rotate in shoulder socket.

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

The technique plays a big role, you will find that partially rotate the body upward makes the pressing easier. so from SL block press outward and sideward then continue to press sideward . i think is not possible for biomechanic of shoulder joint press upward while you maintain a side lever position, you need to turn so that the upper arm can rotate in shoulder socket.

I see. I think I was starting to feel it on Mon, but kept getting stuck a little below SL. I'll work it hard on Thurs, thanks Alex.

Jon Douglas

Update;

Today I was able to join the pieces together, and preface 3x2 slow (layout) negatives with straddle and tuck concentrics from standing. That is, sometimes I was able to pull through the sticking point in straddle, and sometimes I had to tuck my legs. I'm going to build volume whilst allowing a tuck before before starting over with stricter body position emphasis; this is the first time I've been able to feel the technique of the rotation in the whole pull, so there is a practise/skill element to make gains in while actual strength consolidates.

 

I believe this, along with several other substantial improvements in planche, HSPU and press HS work, are strongly related to my focus on regular extended (for me) sets of wall runs, which I began about a month ago. I am excited to see what further gains will manifest as I spend more time with these-- they seem to be exactly the medicine I needed, and have been the most significant change to my workouts recently.

 

Edit;

Negative SL pulls have been easy for a while, but I've never been totally sure whether to bear down and push through the pressure on the concentric reps. Today I just walked up to the bars and did my first rep out of the blue. It may not be world-shaking, but it was Jon-shaking :D