This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

If you fail one week then... just repeat?

Started by Gehan Gonsalkorale, April 8, 2014 · 3 Replies · 284 Views

Gehan Gonsalkorale

Say I'm doing an exercise with this programming:

 

wk1-1 3x12s

wk1-2 3x12s

wk2-1 5x12s

wk2-2 5x12s

wk3-1 3x24s

wk3-2 3x24s

 

However I keep failing on 5x12s, then I'd repeat it until I get 5x12 and so I could end up doing this:

 

wk1-1 3x12s

wk1-2 3x12s

wk2-1 5x12s *fail

wk2-2 5x12s *fail

wk3-1 5x12s *fail

wk3-2 5x12s *fail

 

After the deload wk4 then I'd start again like I was on this programming

 

wk5-1 5x12s

wk5-2 5x12s

wk6-1 3x24s

wk6-2 3x24s

wk6-1 4x24s

wk6-2 4x24s

 
Is that correct? I ask as I see people talking about repeating microcycles and I'm not sure what you mean.
 

Thanks,

Gehan

El Chino

The whole macro cycle is 12 weeks broken down into three lots of 4 week micro cycles. This doesn't change regardless of how many reps you're on for each element.

 

So for example, if you fail one week and have to repeat that week's work, the cycle still moves on.

 

So in your case it would work out like this:

 

wk 1 - 3x12s (fail)

wk 2 - 3x12s

wk 3 -5x12s(fail)

wk 4 - 5x6s (deload week so 50% of what you were working on.)

 

wk 5 - 5x12s(fail)

wk 6 -  5x12s

wk 7 - 3x24s

wk 8 - 3x12s (deload week)

 

wk 9 - 4x24s

 

So basic gist is to make sure that on every 4th week of training you deload i.e. reducing volume of work by 50%.

 

Hope that helps.

Gehan Gonsalkorale

Ok good that's what I'm doing.

 

So in the case where this happens:

 

wk 1 - 5 x 60s (fail)

wk 2 - 5 x 60s (fail)

wk 3 - 5 x 60s (fail)

wk 4 - 5 x 30s (deload)

 

Some might chose to repeat the last micro cycle like the below?

 

wk 1 - 4 x 48s

wk 2 - 4 x 60s

wk 3 - 5 x 60s

wk 4 - 5 x 30s (deload)

Kage

I'd rather go for the last option, yeah.

It makes more sense for me to go back to where you could do the exercise with proper form and start over from there to build up more time/reps. Instead of crunking out repeated fails over and over at a level too high for you. You are only reinforcing poor motor patterns.