This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Anyone else have issues with Hawaiian Squat flexibility?

Started by Destiny, April 8, 2014 · 5 Replies · 340 Views

Destiny

I can get full rom on one side with only slight tightness at the very bottom, but the other side I can hardly do it since my knee is too far out forwards rather than sideways. 

 

I've been sitting like this for a couple minutes every day for two weeks and so far have seen no noticeable changes in flexibility. 

 

72319189_640.jpg

Keilani Gutierrez

can you feel your glutes powerfully contracting? Tailor pose can also show you how to use your glutes to bring your knees down toward the flioor, in this half bent leg variation of a piriformis stretch/strength exercise to activate your external rotators and get them limber and strong.

sometime's it's hard to bear but it's pretty impressive to see how the hips eventually open up by sheer willpower

Sascha Faltinger

I have a similar problem. my right hip has quiet goo range of motion in external rotation in taylor pose.

but the left hip misses a lot of rom. can not press it down. it blocks.

i use bands to get deeper into the stretch.

looks like this:

1. loop a band at a fixed or heavy thing around

2. ly on the floor and wrap the band up and around your hip crease

3. put the banded leg in tylor pose while lying on your back

4. now work your body backwards to strengthen the band till you feel a stretch around your hip

5. bent your torso towards your hip and work into different ankles for 2-3 minutes

be careful not to overdue it.

This helps me a lot to get my hips equal. not yet there....

sascha

TANSTAAFL
saschali1979 said:

I have a similar problem. my right hip has quiet goo range of motion in external rotation in taylor pose.

but the left hip misses a lot of rom. can not press it down. it blocks.

i use bands to get deeper into the stretch.

looks like this:

1. loop a band at a fixed or heavy thing around

2. ly on the floor and wrap the band up and around your hip crease

3. put the banded leg in tylor pose while lying on your back

4. now work your body backwards to strengthen the band till you feel a stretch around your hip

5. bent your torso towards your hip and work into different ankles for 2-3 minutes

be careful not to overdue it.

This helps me a lot to get my hips equal. not yet there....

sascha

I have the same issue. Thanks for posting, will definitely try it out for a while.

 

To the OP: You can also try one of the stretches in Kit Laughlins lotus sitting video. Just google it and it should pop right up, you'll know which stretch I mean when you see it.

Destiny
Keilani Gutierrez said:

can you feel your glutes powerfully contracting? Tailor pose can also show you how to use your glutes to bring your knees down toward the flioor, in this half bent leg variation of a piriformis stretch/strength exercise to activate your external rotators and get them limber and strong.

sometime's it's hard to bear but it's pretty impressive to see how the hips eventually open up by sheer willpower

 

wow you're right. I could get a few inches deeper on the squat just "trying" to. still need lots of  work though 

 

saschali1979 said:

I have a similar problem. my right hip has quiet goo range of motion in external rotation in taylor pose.

but the left hip misses a lot of rom. can not press it down. it blocks.

i use bands to get deeper into the stretch.

looks like this:

1. loop a band at a fixed or heavy thing around

2. ly on the floor and wrap the band up and around your hip crease

3. put the banded leg in tylor pose while lying on your back

4. now work your body backwards to strengthen the band till you feel a stretch around your hip

5. bent your torso towards your hip and work into different ankles for 2-3 minutes

be careful not to overdue it.

This helps me a lot to get my hips equal. not yet there....

sascha

thanks but after step 2 I have no idea what you mean haha

TANSTAAFL said:

I have the same issue. Thanks for posting, will definitely try it out for a while.

 

To the OP: You can also try one of the stretches in Kit Laughlins lotus sitting video. Just google it and it should pop right up, you'll know which stretch I mean when you see it.

thanks ill look it up

MattProulx

I didn't have an issue with hawaiian squats though my right side is tighter than my left, try sitting cross legged on the floor, the side you naturally choose will always be looser, work on sitting the other way, this helped me a lot. Doing the butterfly stretch where you sit on the floor with bottoms of feet touching and push you knees down onto the floor will also help, you can put a weight on the tight side.

 

Here is a good resource which shows multiple stretches for every muscle in the body, and also shows the ones that are inferior to others. I am sure if you don't want a book you can download it, I find it is a great book that has given me a better understanding of every muscle and how they work. 

http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-Exercises-Encyclopedia-Oscar-Moran/dp/1841263516

 

 

Edit : since you live in canada you can find it at chapters/indigo stores.