FL pullups or negs?

Started by Chris H Laing, April 30, 2009 · 3 Replies · 2,323 Views

Chris H Laing

At the moment I can hold a one leg front lever, on either side, for a second, and am wondering the best way to proceed. Would iy be better to work the one leg negatives, or adv tuck pullups?

I only have one day a week when I can work on front lever, besides just doing the static holds which I will be doing 3-4 times a week, and I wanna know which exercise will give me the best bang for my buck...

Any thoughts?

Blairbob

1 leg negatives. If necessary, I'd say it's ok to hold higher than horizontal if need be if you can hit it for 3-5s. If it's too high, scale down of course. It's not ok to let the hips/butt pike and sag. Just my opinion though.

Wait, you're gonna be able to work the statics 4x a week but can't work on FL? Is this an equipment access issue? If so, I say getting a portable pullup bar should be a priority.

Chris H Laing
Blairbob said:

Wait, you're gonna be able to work the statics 4x a week but can't work on FL? Is this an equipment access issue? If so, I say getting a portable pullup bar should be a priority.

I have a doorway pullup bar, but not enough room to do negs, so I'm just doing statics. Plus the statics are way less fatiguing than negs or pullups

David Picó García

Do both, another exercise you can try is FL bycicling, extending one leg and inmediatly extending the other while tuckink the first one, and alternate for time. Sometimes a do an advanced FL pullups version (advanced from the tucked version) which are one leg extended then you tuck yourself do the rep and at the bottom part exetend the other leg (while descending or when you are at the low part of the rep), and repeat. It's a mix between a static position and dinamic. I found thouse usefull if you don't have room or do the FL on bar. Anyway my favorite is lowering the negative on the rings(full, straddle, one leg or tucked), and at the position stay static.