How to approach strength skills in general?

Started by Ravn, April 8, 2014 · 0 Replies · 1,026 Views

Ravn

Due to a slightly obsessive personality, over the years I've always found it easy to develop skills, whether it be climbing, yo yoing, slacklining, pogoing (don't ask, was just a kid :facepalm::P ), knotting and splicing, etc.

 

These skills were easy to approach, because they could be trained at a very high volume, sometimes for hours every day (well, perhaps not climbing).

 

Now that I'm bitten by the GST bug, I'd like some advice on developing strength skills. In particular I'm talking about the freestanding HeSPU, but it could be anything that has both a strength and skill component to it. I think it's a relevant question for people that are moving into the more advanced exercises in the Foundation series.

 

Of course, the biggest challenge with strength skills is that they cannot be trained at a very high volume: In a typical foundation setting, we are training the movement for 10-20 minutes twice a week. In the examples above, training methodology matters far less, because what you lack in training strategies you can make up for by sheer tenacity; Train, train, train, and eventually you'll be pretty good at what you do. But with the strength skills, the exposure of the exercise to the nervous system is both less frequent and of shorter duration.

 

So how does one go most wisely about acquiring a skill under these circumstances?

 

Does one drill the heck out of it during those two sessions a week, or just stay at the prescribed sets and reps?

 

What's the best approach for moving from singles to multiple reps?

 

Is GTG a good or a bad idea, from a gymnastic coach's pespective (Personally I think it's a bad idea to use for exercises where you can only do singles - It's just too heavy on the joints)?