This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE2 mastery - counterweight acceptable?

Started by Joshua Slocum, April 5, 2014 · 7 Replies · 313 Views

Joshua Slocum

Is a small counterweight acceptable for mastery of SLS/SE2? I am finding that SE3 is quite difficult to perform to an acceptable standard of cleanliness, so I am considering going back and re-mastering SE2 without weight.

Specifically, I have difficulty with the balance during the bottom 25% of the negative - it's very difficult for me to keep my heel on the ground and not fall over backwards. I'm thinking this is partially due to ankle mobility and partially learning how to enter the bottom position - my thinking is that training the bottom position without weight will help me achieve both. Does this seem reasonable?

And in the general case is it acceptable for people to progress beyond SE2 with a slight counterweight or should everyone work to master the SE without assistance from a weight?

thecolin

I've always been under the impression that it's acceptable. Though in my case it's not all that relevant since I can't so SLS/PE3 without the weight.

 

I had the same thought as you originally, I went back and did SE2 without the weight. I did it, but what I found though is that even if I could find the point to balance on, I couldn't engage the right muscles in the lower leg. Since my problem is only on my left side, I have an instant comparison of what feels right and what feels wrong for me. I can sort of sit on my heel on my left leg and hang out there. But on my right leg I have a totally different pattern, I can actually feel my shins pulling my knee towards the ground, and I can push up from there (whereas on my left leg I just end up pushing backwards).

 

What I'm trying to work on now is just static two leg squats, feet straight ahead, trying to bring them in close together and just hanging out there for two minutes. I focus on tensing my shin to pull my knee towards the ground, which is a much stronger sensation on my right (more mobile leg). After two minutes of tensing and pulling hard I get a really good burn in the lower leg. Then I'll do some calf stretches like the one leg downward facing dog, or putting my toes on a raised surface and hanging out at the bottom (like the bottom of a one-leg calf raise). Then I'll go back and do another two minutes.

 

This is how I'm working it anyways. Release the calf while trying build active compression in the ankle, focusing on moves where I can get that burning/cramping in the shin. While going to the two leg squat feels like a step back somehow, it's feeling very productive in terms of rebuilding/remodeling movement patterns.

jaz

I'm sure it's almost entirely due to learning how to enter the bottom position.

Practice SLS/SE3 in a doorway and slightly grab the door frame when you start to loose balance to keep you in good form. You will progress faster.

MT Nordic

coach specifically says in the focus points for this element, "depending on your individual proportions, you may find that extending a light weight greatly aids in counter balance". I used a 5 pound weight for this element and did not feel that hindered my later progress in the least.

Joshua Slocum
MT Nordic said:

coach specifically says in the focus points for this element, "depending on your individual proportions, you may find that extending a light weight greatly aids in counter balance". I used a 5 pound weight for this element and did not feel that hindered my later progress in the least.

I'm aware, but FL/PE5 used to say that arms by the hips are acceptable, and that was later errata'd to say that arms by the hips are initially acceptable but mastery requires arms overhead.

Eric Baum

Up to what point can we consider the weigth "light"?

 

I'm at SE2 right now and i found that holding 2 kg is enough for me to stay balanced but I make an enormous effort to keep that.

If I get 3 or 4 kg it just becomes much more stable but I'm not sure if that is too much.

MT Nordic

I wouldn't think more than 2-3 kg or about 5 lbs.  The better your ankle flexibility the less weight you'll need.  Spend lots of time squatting instead of sitting and it'll come around fairly quickly.  I am a little surprised coach would allow counter weight. it makes it much easier.  some people however, have long femurs and even with good ankle flexibility they will have trouble doing this.  I really think those are probably the only folks that should really be using the counterweight.  essentially, if your femur is longer than your tib/fib, you may have trouble.  

thecolin

Like I said, if you can do SE3 properly, you'll be able to do SE2 well, without weight. If you can't keep yourself forward on SE2, you'll probably be falling backwards on SE3. I don't think picking apart exactly how much weight is allowed is important. The next progression is the gatekeeper.