Scaffolding: Good or bad idea

Started by Gavin S, April 3, 2014 · 8 Replies · 5,255 Views

Gavin S

Hey guys,

 

I am thinking of building a home gym from scaffolding for my Foundation work. Just generally, is this a good or bad idea?

 

It will be indoors so rust is not much of an issue.

MattProulx

Like this?
sa-scaffolding-home.jpg

Gavin S

Exactly like that.

MattProulx

I looked into them last year, I tried some stuff at one of our construction sites and I can't imagine them being safe without being anchored.

Gavin S

I need to get my hands on some of them so I can see how stable they are when locked in.

jprimeaux

 

My humble backyard gym is made of scaffolding and metal fence posts. The joints are all fixed right angle clamps. So far I haven't killed myself on it :)  Really I haven't even had any close calls. There's a little wobble, but nothing too scary.  You definitely want some way to stabilize them laterally.

Gavin S

Nice.

 

I have been doing some research but got a way to go yet.

 

Scaffolding is still an option.

ForzaCavaliere

How can they be wobbly? Don't they need to pass strict codes for safety when they're used for construction projects? I didn't know they were allowed to be wobbly.

 

If you look at this video

http://youtu.be/D0_azlVthfQ?t=2m51s

 

You can see he put some weight-plates on the base to stabilize it laterally. You could adapt it to your design somehow. But if you're thinking of a grand design, you're gonna need bigger plates!

Gavin S

Thanks. I am thinking of a grand design so I will go with something more solid. That rig will not work well to suspend rings off or perform multi plane work.