This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Kombat's WorkOut Log!!!

Started by kombatmaster7, April 28, 2009 · 10 Replies · 1,390 Views

kombatmaster7

Wow, my own work out log (yay!).

I first wanted to write this log when I started GB training, but I thought it would be more interesting if I already had solid results to show you guys.

I started my SCC on Febuary 9th, Monday. I was unprepared and unsure so I started with pushing/pulling.

I did 3x4 of rows with the rings (feet not elevated) and dips (3x4) on the rings with my feet on a chair. At some point I elevated my feet for the rows on a chair.

I operated on a Mon, tues, Thur, Fri work days with wed, sat, and sun off. (Which works out well with my Kung Fu schedule)

I remember that by my 3rd set of rows and dips (at the beginning of my SSC) I could barely finish 4 reps and would do them in a sloppy manner.

2 weeks into my 1st SSC (02/22/09 Oscar Night) I decided to add Negative HS pushups 3x3, Pull ups 3x3, and added leg and core exercises.

This is what my 1st SSC looked like:

Leg&Core

Deck Squats 3x5 holding a 35lb weight and wearing a 55lb weighted vest.

Elevated SLS (on a 16in bench) 3x5

Natural Hamstring Curl 3x3 (very hard) added Thursday 2/24/09

V-ups 3x5

Windsheild Wipers (on back) 3x5

Push&Pull

Rows elevated 3x4

Dips w/ rings feet on chair 3x4

Pull ups 3x3

HS negatives 3x3

I would always pair a push with a pull, always rest in between sets for 60 seconds, and repeat. After my 3rd push/pull set I would rest for 60 sec and move on to leg and core which I paired together.

In total I would do 6 sets of push/ pull and 6 sets of core and legs each work day.

I never did care to warm up though. I didn't think I had to for strength training. I always, if ever, stretched after my strength training when I had my blood pumping.

----From what I can remember, the Natural Leg Curls were very hard and discouraging. Each time I had to do them, I had to put 250lbs worth of individual weight on my couch to hold my legs down which was very annoying. I greatly depended on my hands as I lowered and raised my body. To this day I cannot complete the exercise, but my form did get much better.

----V-ups were only hard when I did them right and that wasn't often. The movement itself confused me and sometimes I would raise my legs up faster than my torso making it impossible for my torso to reach the required height or vice versa. I would always get and imbalance between my legs and arms. I want to add ankel weights to this exercise but I dont know if that is reccomended.

-----HS Negatives, very sloppy especially on the 3rd set. Lowering slowly can get very boring, fast.

------Elevated SLS (16 in bench). At first my control sucked, but got much better as I progressed. I don't know how low the bench should go for my next SSC tho......

In general, most of these exercises I could perform for the first 2 sets (in the beginning of my SSC), but then totally crapped out on my 3rd set with sloppy form.

I probably missed 2-3 days due to partying, but no big deal. U took a rest week from 22-28 of March working only 2 days instead of 4 (this was my 4th SSC week).

By the end of my SSC all the exercises were significantly eaiser (except that damn Natural Leg Curl lol) and I found myself being able to do SLS deck squats and L-sit chinups (4 reps at most). I am happy with the progress I made in that 8 week time frame. Coach Sommer's SSC is way better than those "Do 100 pushups in a Month" programs which are BS.

I started out sloppy, but ended happy. I went to Florida for a week and took another week off to test my max's on exercises. Today I oficially started my second SCC (pretty unprepared if I may say so myself) YAY!!!!

kombatmaster7

A New Beginning

Today (or should I say yesterday by an hour or so) April 27th, 2009 I started my second official SSC!!!

I didn't have all my exercises together due to lack of equipment and other things so I started off with what I could do.

Guess what?

(What?)

I added a static to my program!! I really don't know how to act tho. I chose only one because I fear that more than one might take up all my time.

I chose to do a straddle L low with my hands on my 2 chairs and my legs straight. Not to impressive, but I do need a place to start.

My max time is 20 seconds in the position, but since I cannot do the next progression I just stuck with this one. I do 6 sets of 10 seconds.

I don't know how resting should work in between statics since they don't take up too much time.

I also don't know whether or not I should do all my statics, rest 60 sec, then do my push/pull and core/leg workout or do a static, do a FBE, rest, do a static, do a FBE and repeat until the static sets are finished?

Anyways, I did my 6 sets of statics for 10 sec and proceded to my FBE's.

Push/Pull

I did 3x5 sets of XR Bulgarian Pushups with my legs on a chair (a little above the ring's height).

I paired that with a 3x3 Pullups with an L sit.

That was an interesting experience. I could barely do the push ups by the 3rd set and started doing the pull ups with crappy form by the 2nd set.

After that I went to my leg/core work.

Leg/Core

I did 3x5 Windshield Wipers on my back with 7.5lbs ankle weights on each ankle (totaling 15lbs)

I paired that with Deck SLS 3x4 carrying one ankle weight so that I could push myself back up.

I found the WW's more challenging, but definently doable even after the 3rd set. The deck SLS really got me. I am vvvvvery sure I didn't do them with correct form. I also needed a lot of momentum to get my thigh perpendicular to the floor (from there it is pretty easy for me to push up). I really crapped out on the 2nd set.

I did some relaxed stretches after this.

kombatmaster7

Here is a rough outline for my 2nd SCC :D :

Statics

Straddle L low (straight legs) 6 sets of each 10 seconds. Hands on chairs because I dont have PB's. :cry:

Push

XR Bulgarian Push ups 3x5

Russian Dips on chairs---Haven't tested max yet, but I know that I can't do a repetition without suppor from my legs on the floor.

HeSPU- Box. Problem- I need to find a big box. My max for this one is untested too.

Pulling

L sit Pullups 3x3

XR Bulgarian Rows-----My max for this one is yet to be tested as well.

Core

I'm not too sure about my core exercises mainly because I don't have a stall bar or a device where I can perform curl ups with my lower back.

Here's what I jotted down on my yellow paper.

V-ups 3x5....add weights (to where, hands or ankles?)

HLL's---no stall bars

Wind Shield Wipers 3x5 15 lbs on ankles (tested)

Legs

Deck Squats jumping- weights? (not to sure if I should go all SLS or stick with one 2 legged exercise and start with the jumping for height and distance variations.)

SLS Graduated- Untested, I'm thinking I should lower my bench from 16 in to 12 in (25% increase in dificulty)

SLS deck 3x4 holding 7.5 lb ankle weight---tested

Natural Leg Curls 3x5----All I have to do for this one is polish up on my form and the contraction my hanstrings are giving on the acent. Use hands less.

So there you have it, my second SSC.

Feel free to comment, criticise, or answer my questions in my first 3 post.

Later,

-kombat

kombatmaster7

Hey! just got out of the shower, but day 2 of SSC 2 is going well.

I forgot to do my static work before my FBE's, but ended up doing them between push/pull and leg/core exercises.

I attempted HeSPU on a box and got murdered. When I did them correctly, I could do 2 and a half. Its impertinent that I work on my form with that exercise as well.

I also tried XR elevated Bulgarian rows. I did 5 the first and second set, but crapped out on the third set.

Nothing exciting for my core just regular V-ups (no stall bars :cry: )

I stuck with the Natural Leg Curls today for 3 reps and still found it hard to make a full contraction with the whole of my hamstrings.

Good stuff tho.

Tomoro's a rest day.

WHOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

kombatmaster7

O my gawd.

I just did my Thursday workout...it's not the workout that tires me, but its the time I did it.

I kept on hanging out with ppl throughout the day and neglecting my workout.

I started at 10PM, but I did it and I am happy.

Anyways, I tried a few new things with success.

Here they r:

PUSH

Russian Dips 3x5------I did these on two high stools a little bit above my hips (I have long legs btw.). I had a bit of a hard time with them so I greatly needed my legs to assist throughout the movement. Pretty good for a first time.

PULL

L sit pull ups 3x3-------Either I was tired today or it was my workout yesterday, but I didn't feel too strong at this. my 2nd set was getting kinda sloppy and my 3rd was very sloppy.

CORE

Windshield Wipers w/15lb on ankles (suspine)---------I don't really feel my obliques working much. It's probably because my arms are doing a lot of the work. I have no problem completing the reps with good form. I feel that it helps to be holding on to free weights in each hand while doing this exercise.

LEGS

My favorite category.

SLS on a box 3x3--------On my last SCC I was doing them on a 16 in. box...Now I am doing it on an 8 and 1/2 in box. I know 50% increase, but it was too easy on the 16in box in the first 2 weeks of doing it. I have ok form, but not great. My torso doesn't straighten the same time my hips do on the acent. I also need a little push when I am seated in the bottom of the squat.

Good stuff tho.

-kombat

kombatmaster7

Hey y'all.

Update on my training and a finalized schedule for this SCC since I have everything tested.

PULL

3x3 L-sit pullups

3x5 Bulgarian Rows elevated

PUSH

3x5 Bulgarian pusups

3x5 Russian dips on chairs with heavy support from legs (non dynamic support)

3x3 HeSPU with feet on ladder

CORE

3x5 V-ups

3x5 Windshield Wipers w/ 15lb on ankles.

LEGS

3x3 SLS deck holding a 7.5 lb weight for support.

3x3 SLS graduated on an 8 inch bench.

3x5 Natural Leg Curls with some support from the hands

I decided to do one less rep on the SLS deck, but besides that nothing has changed.

As of now, I am doing a static then a PUSH or PULL exercise then a rest and repeat until all 6 static sets and PUSH/PULL sets are completed.

Later, I do my CORE/LEG sets.

The HeSPU are pretty damn hard and I crap out by the second set by doing two crappy reps.

The L-sit pull ups are barable until the 3rd set and I start to crap out on my form.

My Russian Dip muscles are not developed at all so I have to depend on my legs for the extra support (note I am not using my legs like I would be for a jumping dip).

I strongly hope that by my next SCC I can get some stall bars to add more variety into my CORE workout and add in some back exercises, but that dependent on equipment sadly.

I'll check in with you guys in a few weeks.

Later,

-kombat

kombatmaster7

Hey again,

Just wanted to post this as a note to self:

Thursday May 13th, 2009- Did my Push/Pull exercises and my static with horrible form in the 2nd to last sets.

by the time I did my legs I didn't crap out, but I knew that all my muscles were fatigued (they weren't sore but I could sense it.)

I did one set of natural leg curls and stopped. I did Kung Fu the night before (Wednesday) for two hours and although I wasn't sore, we do a lot of leg work (horse stance) and I felt that that interfered with my recovery.

In light of this I took Friday may 14th, 2009 off.

Next week I am planning to take my rest week (this is my 4th week). I will cut my load from 4 days a week of work to two. After that week I will go back to 4 days a week.

In terms of gains, I feel the exercises getting much easier.

My static (straddle L sit low on chairs straight legs) is getting easier and I can now do the next variation which is on the floor.

The exercise that has helped the most is the HeSPU with legs supported because it is the first time I have put a heavy load on my shoulders. Due to that I noticed that I can now do 2 reps of wide grip pull ups with the neck in front of and behind the bar (yay me! :o )

My legs are getting slightly better not much to comment on my core either just slight improvement.

Goal for next SCC-----------Build stall bars in the summer.

If you guys have any advice on building them PM me.

I am also skeptical on doing more than one static for my next SSC. I want to do manna progressions, but with two statics I feel that it may be extremely time consuming. Please comment with your experiences with statics and time if you can.

I got lucky with 6 sets of 10 seconds on my very first static rather than 30 sets of 3 seconds.

Anyways, if anything interesting like a rest day, a difficulty in my routine, a solution, or even a question to you guys I'll post again.

Until then,

-kombat

kombatmaster7

Welcome to my 2nd official rest week. It happens on the 4th week of my SSC.

My two work days are Tuesday and Friday.

On Tuesday I did my 10 sets of statics paired with my Russian dips on chairs and my l sit pullups.

After that I did natural leg curl 3x3 and v ups 3x5.

I never do warmups before my strength exercises, but it doesn't seem to affect me much.

pce,

-kombat

kombatmaster7

Friday's workout is done. Yea!!!

"Rest" week is oficially over. Next week I am bumping it up to my normal load of 4 days a week.

Today I did my 6 sets of static work paired with HesPU (3x3) with legs on a high chair and I did Bulgarian rows (3x5) legs on a chair.

After that I did deck SLS holding a 7.5lb weight for 3x3. I paired that with my Windshield wipers (suspine) with 15lbs on my legs (3x5)

I'm feeling stronger with my HeSPU, but I still crap out on the third set. I was only able to do one out of three reps.

My Bulgarian rows feel normal. I don't think I can make anymore strength gains there.

I'm finally starting to finally feel my muscles being used for the windsheild wipers. (I also hold onto weights as I do them dumbells for each hand, doesnt affect the exercise at all). I believe that is a very good sign.

My deck SLS are weird. My left leg feels stronger than my right even though I am right footed. My first set was fine with my left and right squating up without my hands pushing my out of the "hole"

By my second set I was losing control of my muscles and my decents were a tad uncontrolled and I started to lean too far foreward on my acents.

It was really bad by my third.

I have the strength to do 3, but I feel that I don't have the endurance to do 9.

Still trying to figure out if I should do more statics come time my next SCC.

Later,

-kombat

(note to self russian dips 3x5, L sit pullups 3x3)

kombatmaster7

Back to my normal schedule with my SCC!

Today, monday May 25th, 2009, I completed my workout consisting of:

A warm-up (half assed tho, but its the first time I warmed up for strength training, EVER) of swinging my legs to my front, side, and my back 12 times each leg. 2 sets (I normally do 3). The height of my leg increases after each set until it reaches maximum height (point before I have no control over my swinging legs).

I kicked it off with my straddle L sit static for 10 seconds and 6 sets. I paired that with L sit pullups 3x3 and russian dips on high chairs with support from my legs 3x5.

I then did my graduated SLS onto an 8 in bench for 3x3 paired with 3x5 V-ups.

After that, I did some relaxed stretches for 15 min and took a shower.

My L sit pullups are getting better. I made it to the 3rd set, but on my last two reps, partially lost form. Whenever I have L sit pullups my statics become harder for me.

It's hard to measure my Russian Dips and keep them steady because I am using my legs for support. I am using my legs less and less which means I am using more force which defeats the purpose of the STEADY state Cycle. I don't think it's too much of a big deal tho.

My SLS is ok by the 2nd set, but I cannot control the decent very well at all by the 3rd set.

On a side note, I am planning to build a stall bar soon!!! Any advice is appreciated. My wall that I am building it on is 87 and 1/2 inches tall and 47and a half inches wide.

Much love,

-kombat

kombatmaster7

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost forgot I had this training log....

I've been gone and yes I know you may want an explanation.

I went to Europe June 18th and came back July 7th. Crazy fun stuff. European life is a small and hard one. Everything is smaller over there unless you have $$$. I'm not saying it's bad, but I am saying that it is not as luxurious as life in the USA. I am very thankful to live in the USA, but I digress.

So I come back on the 7th, very glad people can speak english, and I'm like shit I need to work out. I need to restart my strength routine and get back to Kung Fu classes.

Guess what? I didn't. I tried but I didn't.

I went to Canada (Whistler) for a week because I have family up there who own a condo in Whistler. Fun Stuff.

I come back and make plans.

Here's the juicy stuff:

I officially started my SSC last Thursday which was July 30th, 2009.

I'm still on the 4 day mon, tue, thur, fri routine, but I changed a few things.

PUSH

3x3 Ground PPP----------Real hard going from Bulgarian Pushups on rings to PPP's on rings so I stuck to the ground on this one. Real hard on the shoulders.

3x5 Russian Dips------Still do them on two stools and still don't do them unassisted. I use my legs to give me the necessary boost. That can be bad or good, but I'm starting to think it is bad.

3x4 HeSPU on box-----same thing but 1 more rep.

PULLING

3x3 Front Lever Rows Tuck------------Yea a solid progression!! Hard tho. In my experience, if you can do something great for the first time on the first set you wont be doing the same on the second.

3x4 Pullups L---------Same stuff 1 more rep

CORE

None

Yep none. I have no stall bars and dont want to be doing the same exercises all my life until I get stall bars. SO I ditched the core work. Also this serves to keep me interested in this so I dont quit all together.

LEGS

MY favorite.

3x5 SLS Graduated----same but 2 more reps.

3x5 SLS deck same but 2 more reps.

I have to go slower and focus on form and all my exercises, especially the legs.

Well, that's whats new with me.

I'll keep you guys updated on any changes or problems.

Sort of glad to be back lol.

pce

-kombat