Hi peeps, I've been on 5x15 of tuck ups for a few weeks now. Do you think this is mastery or are there areas to work on?
This is my last set.
Thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by BeanLion, April 1, 2014 · 14 Replies · 313 Views
Hi peeps, I've been on 5x15 of tuck ups for a few weeks now. Do you think this is mastery or are there areas to work on?
This is my last set.
Thanks
I really like how slow and controlled your reps are, but I think you need to bring your knees closer to your chest.
Thanks, yeah that's the only trouble I have. In my reps I'm trying my hardest not to round my back at the top of the contraction
If you check the way the athlete performs it he does round his back at the top and also has his lower legs higher up, this I found helps quite a bit in increasing the compression.

Good point Richard, I'll try and implement that next time.
Thanks
Yeah, that rounding will get you some extra compression. Also some light stretching of the hip flexors beforehand might help a little.
One other thing to keep in mind is you want PPT(posterior pelvic tilt) going on while your on the floor. That is to say the flat of your back pushing against the floor as in hollow hold.
TANSTAAFL said:
One other thing to keep in mind is you want PPT(posterior pelvic tilt) going on while your on the floor. That is to say the flat of your back pushing against the floor as in hollow hold.
Good tip, I need to work on that. I think my shoulder flexibility is poor as when trying to be in PPT my arms don't go back properly.
To aim both shoulder flexion and PPT I had a lot of success with this http://www.t-nation.com/training/secret-to-ab-training (+F1/H1 of course).
Eric HARDOUIN said:To aim both shoulder flexion and PPT I had a lot of success with this http://www.t-nation.com/training/secret-to-ab-training (+F1/H1 of course).
I'm seeing a lot of this cue in the exercises " Exhale fully and press the lower back into the ground."
Are we supposed to do this for MN/PE1?
dynamo said:I'm seeing a lot of this que in the exercises " Exhale fully and press the lower back into the ground."
Are we supposed to do this for MN/PE1?
Yes, it is my understanding that PPT(posterior pelvic tilt) should be maintained throughout...think hollow hold.
TANSTAAFL said:Yes, it is my understanding that PPT(posterior pelvic tilt) should be maintained throughout...think hollow hold.
And are we supposed to "Exhale fully" to achieve PPT?
If ya want to...personally I think I might hyperventilate, but I'll make sure to video it if I ever try. Seriously though, as long as you're PPT you're gold. I think the extra exhale in those exercises work the core a little more, but is probably not ideal for the early MN progressions.
To BeanLion,
All the points above are valid. One thing I noticed in your video is that at the point of maximum compression you are doing almost a "double-pump" to get that extra bit of compression in. I would try and avoid that so you can maintain a smooth motion in the movement.
Dynamo,
You're not supposed to exhale fully for a correct PPT, as far as I know, but the exercices proposed above will greatly help you "feel" your spine, achieve PPT, AND link it with correct thoracic posture, as a whole.
Breath pattern, ribs / sternum position etc cannot be ignored here, especially for older guys with mobility issues....
Hope it helps
Eric
One more tip, following the "double pump" noted by Galin S : start with the closest top position as possible (stuck the quads to the stomac, i. e freeze the second pump) by focusing here on PPT. Keep that same PPT while lowering to the bottom / start position, pressing the lower back to the ground. Try to maintain that for the reps to come...