This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on the 12 week cycle

Started by Jacob Morsbøl, April 1, 2014 · 9 Replies · 425 Views

Jacob Morsbøl

Greetings,

I'm new on this forum and about to start on the foundations. However I'm a little scared this 12 week cycle might be hindering motivations. I'm aware that I can 'skip' exercises I do master in terms of some standards. But when I find a exercise I do not master, I'm not sure whether I should start go through the 12 week cycle even though it is only a rep or a few seconds hold I did miss.

An example is the work for the SLS. If I find that I am mastering all SLS/PE and SLS/PE>im 1 through 4 but only capable of doing for instance 5x4r of the SLS/SE1. If we assume the 5x4r is close to 5x5r I'm capable of doing nearly 5x5r which is the mastery level. My question is then whether I should go through the 12 week cycle of this exercise even though I'm so close to the mastery of the exercise or could I for instance do the last 8 or 4 weeks of the cycle?

 

When answering this question you can for sure assume that I was truly capable of doing the previous exercises and so on.

 

 

Kind regards,
Jacob

Murray Truelove

You can start at any of the micro cycles:

1) weeks 1-4

2) weeks 5-8

3) weeks 9-12

The last week is always a deload so keep all the elements so they sync.

You can also repeat a micro cycle, for example building endurance with HBP:PE2 I had to repeat the last micro cycle (weeks 9-12) but started on the second micro cycle (weeks 5-8) after mastering PE:1.

jshaw

Like Murray said, you don't have to start on week 1, that's only for when you're not even remotely close to mastery. Make sure you take the time to master each level along with the integrated mobility, don't just assume you can do it and skip over elements.

Ravn

^What the other guys said...

Jacob, would you be Danish, by any chance?

Jacob Morsbøl

Thank you for answering. It surely was the answer I was looking for.

Ravn, I am Danish by all means. That is why I'm active on this forum at this odd time of day (pacific time).

Patrick Svoboda
Murray Truelove said:

You can start at any of the micro cycles:

1) weeks 1-4

2) weeks 5-8

3) weeks 9-12

The last week is always a deload so keep all the elements so they sync.

You can also repeat a micro cycle, for example building endurance with HBP:PE2 I had to repeat the last micro cycle (weeks 9-12) but started on the second micro cycle (weeks 5-8) after mastering PE:1.

reading the forum back and forth i was not able to finde the answer for my questions.

hope you guys can help me.

 

cycles are 4 weeks, 3 working, 1 is deload

lets say i did week 1 of FL/PE1. it was horrible and i want to do it again.

if i continue with all other exercies sLS etc with week 2, week 3 and so on, i will be "late" with FL/PE1 of 1 week right?

 

sLS 

W2, W3, W4 (deload)

 

FL

W1, W2, W3 ??

 

what is the correct procedure to keep all in sync?

 

hope u understand my guys ;)

 

greets

Michael Taylor

Patrick,

If week one of PE1 has not gone well, then I would use the 4 week microcycle to 'practice' the move.

This could mean repeating week 1 three times, or wk1,wk1,wk2 or even wk1,wk2,wk2.

It doesn't matter, as you are learning the exercise at low volume, and next microcycle you will start again at wk1 and try to follow the programming with 4 weeks of practice behind you.

Keep the deload week as that and do half the volume of whatever you end up doing in week3

Hope this makes sense - there are lots of ways to manipulate the structure to fit particular issues whilst maintaining the integrity of the 4 week blocks, the deload week and the place of that exercise in relation to the other Foundation stuff

Patrick Svoboda

ok, i think i got it.

 

every PE has a cycles of 12 weeks. regardless the week im currently in, week 4 is always deload week, right?

 

normaly

w1, w2, w3, w4 (deload = 50% of w3), w5, w6 ...

 

w2 fail

w1, w2, w2, w3 (deload = 50% of w2), w4, w5 ...

Michael Taylor

Almost, Patrick.

If you fail a week there are numerous options to finish off the microcycle.

What I would suggest afterwards is to repeat the microcycle that you failed on (ie go back to wk 1 again).

The 4 week block is the key - each of the 7 exercises could be at various points of the 12 weeks as long as these (and essentially the deload week) line up

Patrick Svoboda

make sense now.

 

thx