This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Do You Flex Your Glutes & Abs Simultaneously in a Handstand?

Started by Nash, March 30, 2014 · 8 Replies · 462 Views

Nash

Hello!

 

I'm currently on PE10 (week 9), but on Sundays I play with free standing Handstands so I'm a bit prepared for the upcoming SEs.

 

I simply can't balance more than a few seconds. I always end up underbalance. 

 

When you're balanced, are both your glutes and abs fully activated at the same time?

 

I find that whenever I squeeze my glutes that I unintentionally relax my abs and when I suck my tummy in and flex my abs, I unintentionally release my glutes! But what I noticed is that when I do have them both flexed, I balance better.

 

I wanted to verify with you guys before I focus on doing so more.

 

Thanks!

 

 

-Nash

LIE

Do u work F1?

Mastering FL PE5 and SL PE 1 has improved my HS line a lot

Nash

Hi Cu,

 

Yeah, I'm in the middle of SL/PE1, but with FL only at PE2.

 

I'm just curious about whether both your glutes and abs should be fully activated at the same time when in free Handstand position.

thecolin

I don't have a free standing handstand, so I'm no expert. But with headstands I find keeping everything tighter makes for a better bodyline.

 

I think Coach said somewhere that at the beginning everything should be tight to learn the right form. Then as you progress you can start to be a bit more fluid and relaxed.

Kris
You need to focus on PPT. A good PPT = abs contract + glutes contract at same time.

 

PPT give you a good hollow position, better alignment, one key of handstand.

 

In fact all of your body above your shoulders are in full contraction.

Alessandro Mainente

Instead of think about squeeze ass AND abs, this about improve your pelvic tilt. as you push forward the pelvic region you will feel both glutes and abs very squeezed. is quite difficult to understand. once you achieved a decent mobility and line you learn to  improve the hollow with less pelvic til by "pulling" the hands on the floor. the sensation is similar to the bodyline  IM at the end of the course (except the last 2's). i'm trying to pull my hands near the floor part where i've kicked up using my traps to maintain my shoulders opened.

Micawberian

I thought by referring to squeezing abs he meant ribs in...which seems just as important as pelvic tilt.

Nash

Thank you guys. I think thinking of this as ppt makes it easier to contract both. Will give it a try next week.

Joel Tomkins

For me externally rotating the hips and pointing the toes tightens everything up and feels so much straighter.