This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL SE1>im and paralettes

Started by killroy70, March 29, 2014 · 3 Replies · 194 Views

killroy70

I'm running into the same problem here as some other members, getting into position for this im. I can't hold a single second with hands on the floor, but did 4 sets of 6-9 second sets using paralettes today. I start off in a tuck L and slowly lower until I'm horizontal, extend my legs into a bent straddle and push forward, head up, hands by my hips. My form looks good when utilizing the paralette. I'm hoping that being able to perform multiple sets of 10 seconds will allow me to transition better into performing these with hands on the floor.

Does anyone see anything negative with this approach?

Thanks

killroy70

Yeah, I wouldn't consider the im mastered until I'm able to perform it on the ground - currently my problem is just getting into the position with hands and feet on the ground. Being elevated about 6" on the paralettes allows me to lower into the correct body position vs the entrance into the im displayed in the video. Let me reiterate that I won't consider the movement mastered until it is performed exactly as shown in the video, as using paralettes obviously makes the movement easier. But at the moment, I'm just unable to do the sort of "diving" motion from squatting into the im hold. Hopefully soon.

killroy70

Was just playing with the movement now - it's funny, I watched and re-watched the video about a dozen times to look for cues to focus on getting into the im from the floor. I actually did a few sets of 1-2 second holds just by concentrating on keeping my head up and leaning as far forward as possible before slowly lifting my feet off of the floor. That was the key for me, head up, leaning forward in the squat until nearly all of my weight was being held by my upper body and then slowly lifting my feet while simultaneously lowering toward the floor, all the while concentrating on pushing forward while getting into the bent straddle.

Always seems easier in the video as far as movement patterns go - I've found I really need all of the mental cues in line before I get it.

Gavin S

I get into this position from a planche lean that then becomes a sort of PPP.