This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

switching out IM temporarily

Started by David Creekmore, March 28, 2014 · 3 Replies · 162 Views

David Creekmore

I'm rehabilitating both shoulders from bursitis, brought on by my ability to hyper extend and overwork on the trapeze, specifically layouts.

I have no major structural damage and am physical therapy. I train trapeze several hours a week in addition to f1 and h1.

One of the adjustments i have to make is to give the shoulders full rest during the week. I'm finding that the MN PE 1 IM and H1 in general is shoulder intensive.

I'd like feedback on this temporary plan, which is sub optimal but probably necessary.

1) do H1 always on "upper body" days.

2) swap MN IM for say, sPL I'm (do swivel hips with MN and stiff legged windmills with sPL)

3) move FL to lower body core day.

Obviously I wouldn't claim mastery until I could do them the right pairs. But this would really let my shoulders rest the way they should.

Any major dangers with working on it this way for a while?

No, I can't reduce the trapeze circus arts time. It's my passion and I have partners the rely on me.

Thanks

Bipocni

I don't see that it will hold you back too much.  Try switching it out just for mastery tests, because if you can still demonstrate mastery with the appropriate iM then you've demonstrated mastery all the same, right?

 

You may need to work them separately though, especially if you're having trouble with them.

Joshua Slocum

First, and most importantly, discontinue any activity that causes your shoulders pain. This. Includes. Trapeze. Working through pain will just make your injuries take that much longer to heal. It's not worth it. 

 

Assuming none of these movements are causing you pain and you're just asking for opinions on recovery: 

- I would move H1 to your upper body day. The H1 mobility elements are excellent shoulder rehab. 

- Swapping MN and sPL iM's is probably OK. However, keep each iM element paired with its original PE in terms of progression: don't move on to MN/PE2 until you've mastered MN/PE1>iM.

David Creekmore
Joshua Slocum said:

First, and most importantly, discontinue any activity that causes your shoulders pain. This. Includes. Trapeze. Working through pain will just make your injuries take that much longer to heal. It's not worth it. 

 

Assuming none of these movements are causing you pain and you're just asking for opinions on recovery: 

- I would move H1 to your upper body day. The H1 mobility elements are excellent shoulder rehab. 

- Swapping MN and sPL iM's is probably OK. However, keep each iM element paired with its original PE in terms of progression: don't move on to MN/PE2 until you've mastered MN/PE1>iM.

 

 

Yes, thanks Josh. I'm not training through pain.  

 

I already did my 4 week break from everything in January, got the evaluation, diagnosis and cortisone and started PT.    There isn't any structural damage, but at the volume of work I want to do, I am prone to inflammation - particularly if I hyperextend. 

 

What I have to do is manage my training so I don't overwork it and especially avoid hyperextending the shoulder.     I also ice/heat, massage, stretch and do some active recovery. And  I'm about 20,000 reps into my 35,000 rep core shoulder rehab program.

 There isn't any pain, but I do begin get soreness/light inflammation if I do not set enough time aside to recover or I hyperextend on the trapeze.  Trapeze is a matter of form, I can' correct that.  Recovery time is harder!  I have to block off shoulder work in small windows and ensure I get 48-72 hour breaks.  Deloads will also help.

 

At least that's what my PT and I think is happening.  I will probably be managing this for a lifetime.

Yes, totally understood about progression and mastery, that's what I intended.   Keep them synced and only conclude mastery with the correct pair.  

thx