I've been doing F1, all first exercises for the last month. I have definitely seen strength gains using Josh's pre and post workout program, which I have followed pretty closely. I'm 45 years old. I'm doing the whey shakes before and after every workout with the added carbs etc...
My question is about the rest of my diet. I'm trying to hit 150 grams protein per day but I think I'm gaining weight, beyond lean muscle mass. It's been about a pound a week and although still imperceptible with bodyfat calipers, I doubt this is all lean mass.
I do need to stay pretty lean because I perform circus arts (amature, not pro) . I realize yes, that it's hard to both stay lean and build strength. So I know I may be walking a very fine line. Nonetheless, maybe you have thoughts or tips to help me manage it.
I'm 150lbs 69kg, 11% bodyfat when first measured. 5'10' 178 cm. 45 years old.
There are two issues I think contributing to it:
One is that I'm a vegetarian, and to hit my protein targets of 150 grams per day, I have to eat a lot of dairy and eggs and beans. I try to limit my soy protein to about 30grams. I'm eating full fat yogurt and eggs a lot . I already eat a ton of vegetables, mostly blanched, raw or lightly sauteed.
The other is that, according to the recommendation, I eat in 30-35 gram pulses because of my age. This is a nightmare to accomplish. Three eggs and a cup of black beans or a cup and a half of greek yogurt is twice what I would have eaten before for breakfast. It feels like too much.
Some thoughts -
- i could switch to non fat dairy. that would speed up absorption, but casein is already pretty slow. And it would only shave off a bit.
- I'd love to skip the 30 gram pulses. My understanding is that the research was for people in their 70's but I don't know that for certain.
- I could use more protein powder, or even lucine supplements to eat less, but it wouldn't be as 'natural' as dairy and eggs.
- I could do more cardio, but I'm barely finding time for F1 and my circus training so long cardio will be hard I think.
Any other suggestions/ ideas? thx