This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How can I build up to a deck squat

Started by Denise Cowen, March 28, 2014 · 3 Replies · 154 Views

Denise Cowen

I am just beginning and doing fine on most level one items, but I can't do the Deck Squat. Does anyone have suggestions of how I can work up to it? Specific exercises or should I just keep trying until I get it?

Destiny

do them on an elevated platform/mat. so you are rolling back on the elevated platform and when you put your feet down to squat they are on the floor. 

 

you can also use a weight and hold it out in front of you for extra leverage

LateStarter@46

^+1 + lots of prior calf stretching + as you roll forward keep those heels close to the glutes for as long as possible and reach forwards with your arms as though diving through the floor. I was the same, couldn't do them at all, but now can do them any time. :-)

Good luck!

Murray Truelove

Something that helped me improve my ankle mobility was gentle stretching throughout the day: stand with your back and heels against a wall, keep your feet/knees together and slowly slide down the wall (this might only be a few inches) hold for 30s then slide a little further and hold again, repeat as desired throughout the day.

This ISN'T meant to be intense so don't over do it.