This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Developing an overuse injury from planche leans

Started by Erik Rissanen, March 27, 2014 · 9 Replies · 267 Views

Erik Rissanen

I have been repeating the weeks 1-4 of planche leans several times now, working on increasing the lean. This is an exercise which is nothing like anything else I have ever done before, so I found myself initially very weak, finding even a little bit of lean very demanding. I have gradually been able to increase the lean so it is about right now (though it's a bit hard to judge the course video because it is filmed from an angle).

 

However, I have also developed some kind of overuse injury. I have been a bit sore sometimes, but since the last workout, it became a real, persistent pain, which I can feel throughout the day. I have pain between the finger bones inside my left hand, along the left lower arm and at the left shoulder. I have felt a bit sore also on the right side at times, but not chronic like this. (My shoulders are visibly asymmetric, my left side being higher, which could explain the difference.)

 

I am taking this week off, but I am wondering how to approach planche leans in a fashion to prevent this from happening again or becoming chronic. I think if I simply push through the mastery template, I will be able to increase the hold times, but I think I will end up injured. What should I do instead? I doubt the planks will help because they don't put any stress on these weak points which are failing me in the lean.

 

I can think of many alternatives, like reducing the lean and staying on low hold times and increase the amount of lean more slowly. Or should I do long, light holds?

 

Any advice on the best approach would be most appreciated.

RJS

H1 will help if your not already on that. 

 

Are you playing around with other stuff just for fun? If so, it might be overloading your arms

Erik Rissanen

I am doing H1 also, but at very low level, being held back by a mobility element. I also train a little bit of cardio in the form of stationary cycling. I don't play around with other stuff or higher level elements than the ones I am working according to the course plan.

 

I know for sure that it is the planche lean which us causing this because I can feel the intense stress on these exact specific spots during the lean.

RJS

oh. i see, during the lean. Sounds like too much then. 

Keilani Gutierrez

Erik,

 

are you doing the sPL elements with locked elbows? just adding in this one cue has made all the difference between being pretty relax once HBP roll's by and not being able to bend my arms from the DOMS the next day. 

Erik Rissanen

Yes, I am using locked elbows, that's how it's supposed to be right?

 

This is not DOMS. It's some kind of tendon or bone pain.

 

To be more specific about my question. I guess I am asking which of the two approaches I am thinking of I should use:

 

1. Start with light lean and short hold and increase hold times while keeping the lean light, and then repeat with a bit more lean, from a short hold again.

 

2. Start with light lean and short hold and increase lean (more slowly than what I did for now) while keeping hold times short until I have full lean, and then follow the mastery template.

 

Which way would be the better way to gradually build up the weak tissues? I don't mind how long it takes. It will take what it will take, but I am wondering which kind of stress should I use to stimulate tissue strengthening, without causing a chronic injury. Just following the template does not work for me on this one.

Joshua Slocum

Option 1. would be better for gradually improving tissue strength. 

 

What hand position are you using? Where in your hand are you keeping your weight? My guess is that your troubles are coming from an awkward hand position, given that you've mastered a 60s plank. 

Ravn

Option 1, definitely. Be conservative, and realise that the collective tissue adapts much slower than your muscles. Essentially, you've got the muscular strength to hold the prescribed time, but your connective tissue has not had time to catch up.

I've had some success with sometimes wearing neoprene sleeves or wrist bands during the day to get rid of twinges and near-injuries. I don't wear them during workouts, though.

Coach Sommer

Your mistake is attempting to increase the degree of lean each workout as well as attempting to increase duration in addition to increasing overall volume.

 

The degree of lean should remain constant throughout the entire training cycle.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Erik Rissanen

Ok, thank you! An unanimous option 1 then.

 

I guess one warning sign was that each time when I released the hold, I would feel an intense pulse of pain. I will go back on the lean to the degree it does not feel stressful, and then increase it to a long, comfortable hold, and repeat this cycle. I think it might take a long time, maybe close to year, but I'd rather do that than to hurt myself. I understand how tendons grow slowly, and I hurt myself once before doing ring support. I healed that slowly by stopping that and instead doing F1.

 

I was using a hand position which is about 45 degrees forward/sideways. Initially the weight was at the foot of the palm, but as I increased the lean, more of the weight started hitting the fingers. I think it's the tendons operating the fingers, going along the lower arm which have become inflamed.