This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 + H1 progression questions

Started by Halfdan Alexander Bigseth, March 27, 2014 · 5 Replies · 214 Views

Halfdan Alexander Bigseth

Hi, I just bought and started F1 and H1 and I am loving it!

I do have a couple of questions regarding an integrated approach on the foundation and handstand courses. A little bio might be relevant:

I am 22, have a pretty good training background in average Joe standards. Have done a lot of different training programs and know my body and how it responds quite well. I have never done programmed gymnastics, just a little bit for fun and I do understand now in how bad shape i really am. 

I have two different questions, but both concern the progression of my program. 

 

First:

What I want to do is typically 60-90 min a day with foundation and handstand, meaning full f1 4 days a week and full H1 two days a week. I wanna work as much as possible on my technique and strength. Off course after embarking on any training regimen you must measure different parameters and change the program accordingly, so you prevent overtraining or under training(first one considering my approach). I was just wondering if this is an okay setup to start with or if it is totally off the rack? I have no problem with this straight wise, but I have no experience in gymnastics and I'm afraid i might overload my joints, ligaments etc. 

 

Mon: F1 full

Tue: F1 full

Wed: H1 full

Thur:F1 full

Fri: F1 full

Sat: H1 full

 

Second:

My question is concerning the mastery progression of the different elements and how I can tweak the progression to fit my program. Here as well there are certain givens, such as, total mastery completion of the mastery level of the exercise coupled with the mobility exercise. I am not trying to cheat to excel faster as I am on building foundational strength and mobility, thats after all why I am doing this program. 

 

Say i go with my program or maybe a little less work, working the weekly suggestions could mean a lot of very easy sessions starting a new movement, depending on the movement, past experience. Is it possible to auto regulate the progression? Can i simply do something similar to the startup progression: Embarking a new movement, ex from FL/PE1 to FL/PE2, I choose a week setup(reps and sets) that I think is parallel with my strength and technique for example skipping week 1-4, starting with week 5. If i complete it perfectly without any problems i move on to the next week in progression, week six, the next session. If i cannot complete it without problems, I scale down to a lighter week setup, for example week 3. This way I auto regulate and move forward parallel with my strength and technique, instead of just following a set, set/rep-scheme. 

 

A complete example if my explanation was lacking: 

1. Saturday: Complete mastery of level of FL/PE1(week11)

2. One week deload FL/PE1(week12)

3. Monday: Start week 3(reps and sets) of FL/PE2, complete with proper form and without problems

4. Tuesday: Start week 4(reps and sets) of FL/PE2, cannot complete with proper form

5. Thursday/friday: do week 4 sets and reps of FL/PE2 

6. Monday: Complete week 4 sets and reps with proper form

7.Tuesday: start week 5 for FL/PE2

and so it goes over and over again. 

 

Is this possible or do I have to complete week 1 set and reps in all my 4 sessions in week one, then move on to week 2 set and reps?

 

P.S. I do understand that as i progress my workouts will be tougher and i probably have to scale down on both nr. of training days and level progression. Though with "my" approach the last one will automatically be lowered as completion gets harder and it takes more work to reach mastery

 

Thanks for any answers, 

Best Regards Halfdan Bigseth

Bipocni

Dude you're way overthinking this.  Re-read the course material.

 

But in essence, at the start of every new progression you test to see if you can complete week 11 with good form, good tempo, no rest, and without making ugly pain faces.  If you can do that, great!  Move on to the next one and test again.  Starting at week 1,5 or 9 is entirely dependent on the results you get from this mastery test.

 

I know you think you're awesome and you can handle 6 days a week of work, but you probably can't.  Even the strongest people around here generally don't train 6 days a week.  Most people find they make the best progress doing the upper/lower 4 day split.  I can't name anyone off the top of my head who trains F7.  It's not even listed in the Foundation course materials for a reason.

 

Just because you can stumble your way through a higher frequency routine, doesn't mean you're going to make the best progress doing this.  Start by training each element twice a week, and only consider increasing the frequency if you stop making progress.

Bipocni
Halfdan Alexander Bigseth said:

4. Tuesday: Start week 4(reps and sets) of FL/PE2, cannot complete with proper form

Don't do this.  Always use proper form.

Joshua Slocum

- With volume, it's always best to start low and gradually ramp up. Doing Foundation 4x/week is an absolutely massive amount of volume, and even an individual with astounding recovery is unlikely to benefit from that much volume. Testing mastery of previous elements 4x/week may be ok in the beginning, especially if you have a lot of elements to get through. Once you begin actual work sets, however, I'd start with doing the Foundation movements twice a week [most people find this volume is optimal for them]. If, after a few months of doing this, you've noticed you consistently feel recovered the day before your next workout, move up to 3x/week. 

 

- The number one rule with programming individual elements is to keep your deload weeks in sync. So when you begin a new element, decide whether you think you should start from week 1, 5, or 9. 

Halfdan Alexander Bigseth

Thanks for the feedback guys!

 

Especially Bipocni for the hard advice, I do not think I am awesome at all, and i apologise if I came on that way. I am very glad for your constructive comments, which is why I posted in the first place. I thought i was over exaggerating a bit and just the two comments confirmed my fears. 

 

I will definitely be splitting foundation x 2 over four days, doing each movement twice a week. 

 

Again thank you very much for the advice and my sincere apologies if i came across as a brat, not my intention. 

 

Regards Halfdan Bigseth

Bipocni
Halfdan Alexander Bigseth said:

.....I do not think I am awesome at all.....

Hey, we all think we're awesome.

 

Well, I do....  :ph34r: