This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE4 Question

Started by Collin, March 27, 2014 · 11 Replies · 356 Views

Collin

For a male, what type of weight are we talking about here?
If you add weights to a dowel than they will touch the ground and interfere with the move, so may I use plates (weights) in each hand as an alternative to a weighted bar?

Keilani Gutierrez
Collin Beggs said:

For a male, what type of weight are we talking about here?

If you add weights to a dowel than they will touch the ground and interfere with the move, so may I use plates (weights) in each hand as an alternative to a weighted bar?

mastery is 3-5lb's 5 being preferable. either use smaller plates(or ankle weights) and add them up or just get into a position (with hollow ) where you can clear the floor, if not, do it off a ledge but beware to do mastery on flat ground. i don;t think you'll have to resort to the ledge, so just make sure iM1 is good and warm up thoroughly

jvenna

I found out that using plates was a good way to ensure that i held my hands high enough. Having too large plates makes the PE very hard though.

Collin

Thank you for the answers. I hadn't thought of ankle weights before.

Keilani Gutierrez
Collin Beggs said:

Thank you for the answers. I hadn't thought of ankle weights before.

if you have smaller plates, instead of doing one 5lb plate, you can use 2 - 2.5 plates, since they are a smaller size

ausswe

I just use an Olympic bar but I started off with the pull up bar attachment on the pull down machine that one only weighed like 4 kilos at most....

nvaughn1

Has anyone tried using a metal plumbing pipe for this exercise? What length did you need to achieve the required weight?

MichaelCan

I used a 5lb plate on a broomstick, but my knuckles were a few inches off the ground. Is there any reason why I can't just hold a plate in my hands (no broomstick)? Or even a stack of plates?

jvenna
jvenna said:

I found out that using plates was a good way to ensure that i held my hands high enough. Having too large plates makes the PE very hard though.

Sorry mixed PE4 and PE5. In PE5 the plates force your hands higher.

A hard stick/bar is preferable to a something soft or free hands as it forces your hands in a better alignment. This is especially true with the dislocates.

MattProulx
nvaughn1 said:

Has anyone tried using a metal plumbing pipe for this exercise? What length did you need to achieve the required weight?

I use gas pipe for pretty much everything, 48" long is standard at most hardware stores in north america, with end caps you are looking at 8 lb if you use 1" pipe (1.5 dia) about 6lbs if you use 3/4" (1 dia)

Michael Taylor

^ I am guessing that this is hollow pipe?

Therefore you could put a filler in it to vary the weight over the same length (Sand, shot etc)?

MattProulx
Michael Taylor said:

^ I am guessing that this is hollow pipe?

Therefore you could put a filler in it to vary the weight over the same length (Sand, shot etc)?

Ya it is hollow, that would be a good idea, I think steel shot would save money instead of having various pipe sizes.