This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck at RC/PE1 4x6

Started by The Hansenator, March 25, 2014 · 12 Replies · 366 Views

The Hansenator

Hi all,

 

In RC/PE1, I've been trying for about two months now to make the jump from 4x6 to 4x9 and still can't make it so I'm looking for advice.

 

I know the bit about pushing through the discomfort and all that but that's only good for 1 or 2 more reps before hitting failure. The first set of 9 is actually quite easy but it's like, when the muscles reach fatigue, they do it quickly and no amount of kicking or screaming will finish the set. It's also been said not to train until failure each workout which is exactly what I've been doing in an attempt to "fight tooth and nail to get those reps in".

 

So, between not making progress and having some seeminly contradictory advice, I'm not sure what to do. At this rate, I'm going to be at PE1 for a looong time.

Jennifer

I am in exactly the same place as you, so I am also interested in hearing any advice. 

Eric HARDOUIN

Well, at least for me I had to fight against my kyphotic posture to nail it. This means a lot of all-around work and not just F1 (like many PE1 need to, for older "beginners"). 

What helped me most then was to first engage a full retraction at the top position, maybe 10s squeeze, then trying to keep things in place for reps, just focusing on this retraction thing. At the bottom, keep your chin in, straighten your T-back and, again, initiate the move throught the upper-back.

Hope this helps.

Kasper Stangerup

I made intermediary microcycles when I had trouble getting to the next in the schedule. If you can do 4x6 but not 4x9, then maybe you could reach 4x7 or 4x8. Then work the rest of the microcycle on that basis, and try to nail the prescribed reps next month.

Alessandro Mainente

can you post a video in order to solve any doubts on execution?

The Hansenator

I'll have to look into video, I'm not really equipped for it.

 

The reps feel fine up until I can't complete any more and that point comes quite suddenly.

TANSTAAFL

Many have had success using the modified microcycle Kasper mentioned above.

dritar

In addition to trying a smaller jump in the microcycle try the following.

 

When you start failing you can also, let go of the rings for a few seconds, shake out your limbs and try to finish the set, 

 

This helped me when I hit a similar plateau with RC/PE3. Eventually you might not need the rest.

MT Nordic

You can also build volume by dropping the reps and doing a lot more sets.  That way you don't get as much lactate accumulation.  Try doing 10 sets of 4 or 5.  then you get 40 or 50 reps, much less fatigue.  then after a week of that, try 8 x6, then 6 x7, then 4 x9 will be a breeze.  

TANSTAAFL
MT Nordic said:

You can also build volume by dropping the reps and doing a lot more sets.  That way you don't get as much lactate accumulation.  Try doing 10 sets of 4 or 5.  then you get 40 or 50 reps, much less fatigue.  then after a week of that, try 8 x6, then 6 x7, then 4 x9 will be a breeze.  

I've been debating on doing this for RC/PE1 as well. I'm going to try one more cycle, then see. Coach had the 10x3 template in BtGB used for athletes that needed a little more hypertrophy to move forward...definitely worth a think.

The Hansenator
MT Nordic said:

You can also build volume by dropping the reps and doing a lot more sets.  That way you don't get as much lactate accumulation.  Try doing 10 sets of 4 or 5.  then you get 40 or 50 reps, much less fatigue.  then after a week of that, try 8 x6, then 6 x7, then 4 x9 will be a breeze.  

I was wondering about this approach, kind of a density type strategy. Maybe I'll try it.

Justin Termini

Maybe try increasing rest periods between sets? I know that the ultimate goal is to perform each set back to back with just the mobility work in between, but maybe work toward 4X9 with 60 seconds rest between sets. Once you get that, reduce the rest sets until you are able to get 4X9 with just the mobility movements in between.

The Hansenator

Since it's really just the last few inches that I'm struggling with, would it help to add some static holds at the top? The first two thirds of the rep is easy and then it's like hitting a wall and it just stops and won't go any further.

 

I've been experimenting with doing a few reps per day in addition to normal workouts and pausing for a few seconds at the top of each rep. It's still too early to know if it will help.