This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When is HBP/pe3 mastered?

Started by bigB, March 25, 2014 · 18 Replies · 773 Views

bigB
I've been working on PPP for 6 months.  

I'm able to do 5 sets of 10 with my tape market 45 inches from the door.   

My belly button is 41 inches from the ground and about 45 inches from the door when I getting into PPP position.  

 

I'm still working the mastery progression of PPP one day a week, but it was getting boring doing the same thing over and over again. I started working on more advanced HBP progressions another day a week.

Currently, I can do Koreans for 5 sets of 5, the rev grip Koreans I'm only at sets of 3.

 

Have I mastered PPP?

Vincearoo

Posting a video would be the most helpful.

Joshua Slocum

Take a video. Compare your hand position to that demonstrated in the course. Post it here for critiquing. 

EDM

My personal experience is that PPP is quite a complex exercise to master. Not only is hard by itself, but there are also several details to get right to have the proper form. I've also been working on it for a long time, and will probably need still some months, but I think is one of those exercise that will I will keep somewhere in my routine even later.

Besides that, I've also mastered other PEs until korean dips training them in my extra day. They appear to be less demanding than the PPP and might do not necessarily have it as a prerequisite.

Not sure I'm right , but i think this approach didn t slow down my progress on PPP anyway...

Keilani Gutierrez

guys,

how do you expect to the hollowback press from bent arm planche to handstand? everything in the hbp progressions lends idea to how it pieces together but this part is so essential to pick your body up off the ground with good line.

just check the YT channel video of the little kid doing HBP and see the planes his arm go through when he presses. it's freakin rad.

also, think about F4 Hbp progressions. the mastery + mobility is brutal. i'm not kidding.

MattProulx
Keilani Gutierrez said:

guys,

how do you expect to the hollowback press from bent arm planche to handstand? everything in the hbp progressions lends idea to how it pieces together but this part is so essential to pick your body up off the ground with good line.

just check the YT channel video of the little kid doing HBP and see the planes his arm go through when he presses. it's freakin rad.

also, think about F4 Hbp progressions. the mastery + mobility is brutal. i'm not kidding.

And sPL/SE1-3>im  :blink: And I don't even know whats after because I don't have F3/4 yet

Ravn
MattProulx said:

And sPL/SE1-3>im  :blink: And I don't even know whats after because I don't have F3/4 yet

You'll know soon enough, but it's good stuff. Some of the SE's are milestone strength goals in themselves.

Mark Collins

I think I am 12 months into PPP and can do 8,8,6,5. I am losing count of the mini cycles I have done. They are such a good exercise. I am so close I can smell it. My push ups feel so easy now in comparison.

dritar

And then there's that moment where you see that you can lean just little more ... :P.

Ravn
dritar said:

And then there's that moment where you see that you can lean just little more ... :P.

Following that logic, you'll be on PPP's until they have developed into full planche pushups. Interesting thought experiment, but it kinda makes the rest of the F-series obsolete...

bigB

I finally got around to uploading my video.

 

 

# edited, I think the video should be Public now.

Micawberian

The video is private

LateStarter@46
bigB said:

Have I mastered PPP?

I would say not quite as your posterior line can be improved with more protraction and PPT.

Badi

isn't the excersise easier when you put your heels on the wall? I mean you are supposed to be on top of your foot anyway.

Ravn
Badi said:

isn't the excersise easier when you put your heels on the wall? I mean you are supposed to be on top of your foot anyway.

Personally I have a tendency to move backwards when I press up, because it decreases the lean and makes the press easier. The wall makes it impossible. I don't use it all the time, but it's good as a self check.

dritar

I don't think it's far off mastery, specially if it's showing the last set or so. I'm not sure about hand position, but it seems fairly close to mastery or already at minimum for mastery. More importantly though I think you lose body shape in the bottom position a bit too much, specially in the last reps so it still needs some work, as it looks like your back is arching/sagging.

 

One thing that has helped me is to always consciously think about your upper back, to keep a sort of tension there, thinking on pushing with my back. That helps a lot as it diverts some load away from the normal pushing muscles. Looking at the course video you see that the athlete starts in the lean (so the usual stuff about protraction and ppt) but even in the bottom position his lower back doesn't arch and there's still some rounding of the upper back as in the lean. I may be wrong here but that in my opinion is the key trick to mastering this (and it's also the first thing to fail when the sets start to get grindy, so it's worth training it).

Alessandro Mainente

Do not use the wall. the reason is that if you have the tendency to move backward when you push is because you are not leaning forward as necessary, is an automatic response to make the leverage easier. write a line on the floor and try to never pass over it

NoHiddenCosts
Mark Collins said:

I think I am 12 months into PPP and can do 8,8,6,5. I am losing count of the mini cycles I have done. They are such a good exercise. I am so close I can smell it. My push ups feel so easy now in comparison.

...Though obviously this type of thing happens a lot in F1, it seems rather strange that elements that are meant to take no more than 3 months to master can take over 12. Why is this?

 

This is not directed at you specifically, Mark. More a question about the programming. I could understand pathological issues with mobility, or slowness to get up to the level of a PE1, but after one has mastered 1&2, shouldn't PE3 come along a bit more quickly?

MattProulx
NoHiddenCosts said:

...Though obviously this type of thing happens a lot in F1, it seems rather strange that elements that are meant to take no more than 3 months to master can take over 12. Why is this?

 

This is not directed at you specifically, Mark. More a question about the programming. I could understand pathological issues with mobility, or slowness to get up to the level of a PE1, but after one has mastered 1&2, shouldn't PE3 come along a bit more quickly?

I too took a long time on this and sPl/pe5 and I think it can get stale when you are repeating the same 4 week cycle, which can slow or even hinder progress. The 3 month cycle is great if you are progressing, but sometimes you have to change things. Break up the pattern, do something different for a week. I have been experimenting with different rep/set routines for a few things. I am now of the mind that if something is not working, change it up for a bit, then go back. Without an actual Coach/Trainer etc you have to find things that work for you too.