Pull up bar diameter - does it matter? Do you like to use pull up bars of bigger diameter then standard pull up bar? i plan to use a 48 mm steel bar to make my grip stronger. Do you think that's a good idea?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Pull up bar diameter - does it matter?
Started by MichaÅ‚, March 24, 2014 · 2 Replies · 150 Views
Thicker pull up bars are more difficult because the grip is harder.
However this is something that you quickly adapt to and if you always do your pullups in the same bar and same grip it's something that you specialize in, so do it in a thinner or thicker bar and change grips every now and then, as you'll be surprised that sometimes with a thinner bar you'll get less reps because of the unfamiliar grip (and because your calluses are now in the wrong place
).
When I train outside, I use a 2" steel pipe, and it definitely is a bigger challenge for the forearms than a regular bar. Still way easier than a hangboard, though.
I'm not sure I would recommend a 2" pipe for RC/PE6, as that is hard enough on a thin bar. I think it would seriously suck doing it on a fat bar, but if you can pull it off (pun?), that's great.