Front Lever Straddle

Started by Guest, April 25, 2009 · 3 Replies · 5,735 Views

Guest

I can hold an Advanced Tuck Front Lever for about 30 seconds, however, when I try to move on to the next progression, the straddle, my straddle looks more like a V. :cry: Will my straddle strength/flexibility improve just by working this hold or should I work on something else?

Blairbob

The difficult thing about straddle levers is not letting your hips pike. Working a straddle lever will probably not significantly make you more flexible in the straddle. Well, not as much as just working on straddle flexibility, exclusively.

Have you tried the one leg lever at all? Have you tried straddling with bent knees but open hips? I can't remember where 1/2 lay is in there, if it's before or after the straddle.

Guest

Thanks for your response. I have not tried a "1/2 Straddle", I will try that next.. I believe the 1/2 lay is after the straddle in the lever progression.

Thanks again!.

Chris

from what I know the halflay is harder than straddle, provided of course that you have a decent straddle ie. are flexible enough, with a crap straddle like mine, the centre of gravity will be probably in the same place ;-) anyhow follow Blair's advice and work on flexibility, especially static, this should improve things

moreover the 30s may not be enough, according to coach you should achieve a 60 adv tuck hold before you advance to straddle

Cheers,

Chris