
My weight always settles in the heel of my wrists and I couldn't figure a way to distribute it. When I tried this above I was able to take some weight off of the heel, but damn my forearms are numb.
Is this better for stability as I move forward?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Nash, March 23, 2014 · 5 Replies · 464 Views

My weight always settles in the heel of my wrists and I couldn't figure a way to distribute it. When I tried this above I was able to take some weight off of the heel, but damn my forearms are numb.
Is this better for stability as I move forward?
If weight is always in the heel of your wrist, your line might be off.
I think the image is fine, but i don't really understand the yellow circle about suction. I would add that you can experiment with lifting the second knuckles off the floor, to give more finger strength for making hs corrections.
Micawberian said:.....i don't really understand the yellow circle about suction.....
Simple. Pick up the middle of your hand.
Its not terrible, but having two different green colours is redundant. Also there is no need to imagine a "suction" of the middle of your palm, this happens due to you clawing the floor with your fingers. Also things change a bit once you become more proficient and can allow yourself more weight towards the heel of the palm due to good position and developed balance.
Usually visual cues are made to simplify a topic and that image is comically complicated. Let's keep in mind the title is not "Hand position for handstands" but "How to avoid wrist pain in yoga" - I ask hand balancers for hand balancing advice and yogis for yoga advice.
Thank you for all the input guys.
I'm finding this to be much better. Micawberian, you're right. I've always struggled to maintain a freestanding handstand and I'm at PE10 already! With this change, I played a bit with PE12 and I'm now able to balance more without having to lean as much into the forearm support.
-Nash