This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Postpone Deload week?

Started by David Creekmore, March 22, 2014 · 9 Replies · 278 Views

David Creekmore

I've just started F1, and having little problem easing into the cycle.  Before I was doing a lot of strength conditioning and mobility work for trapeze.    It's challenging me, but not yet pushing me to limits. 

 

I do a lot of international travel, so this will be a recurring issue for me.  Upcoming is a 10 day trip to japan that is one week after my scheduled deload week.  Given that my body is still feeling pretty comfortable with the level of effort, I'm considering repeating the last week of the block twice and taking the deload week while on the road.  

I guess the other option is taking two deload weeks, but I just don't think that's necessary.  My least favorite scenario is attempting mastery on the road, or starting harder blocks.

 

(I tried to search for this, I'm sure it's been answered but 'postpone deload' and 'extend deload' came up with nothing.   There is a lot of information in the forums, but it can be hard to find.  There are a lot of posts!)

 

-David

MT Nordic

Personally I look at the deload weeks as a suggestion at 4 weeks. I tend to base it on my personal schedule. Some blocks it may be at 3 or 4 weeks and others at 5 or 6 weeks, though i don't go longer than 6 weeks. A lot depends on your personal recovery rate and other life stressors. From what you describe I would delay it to coincide with your travel.

Bipocni

Do whatever you gotta do.  I find deloads tend to come naturally, so I don't worry so much about hitting an arbitrary 4 week schedule.  Sometimes I deload on the second week, sometimes the 5th. very rarely I deload on the 8th.

RF_Guy

I feel that deload is a must only after week 11. Week 4 and 8 are just a suggestion.

Alan Tseng

Deload week every 4th week is an absolute must

Ravn
RF_Guy said:

I feel that deload is a must only after week 11. Week 4 and 8 are just a suggestion.

You sure that you're pushing hard enough? ;)

JN12

Seriously, you got a program from a top level coach, why not follow it exactly? I'm sure there's a reason why the program is that way.

I'm with Ravn, if I'm pushing hard I need every deload week I can get ;)

 

As for the OP, I don't think it would be a problem If you do it once for your trip.

MT Nordic

everybody is different, there's no program that can be exactly specified for each person over the computer.  The program is great but it's not individualized coaching like it would be in person.  I don't think it's a problem to make small tweaks based on one's own response to the program.  that being said i do think 4 weeks is about right for most, and that once every 3 months is not enough.  

RF_Guy
Ravn said:

You sure that you're pushing hard enough? ;)

Oh, I personally deload every 4th week and there were very few exercises were I actually had to start at week 1. But week 3 and 7 in so far feel nothing like agony of week 11 and if I had to push for 1-2 weeks more probably would not be too hard.

dritar

If you're confortable I'd say you could postpone and deload whilst on the road.

 

In the grand scheme of things, if you're consistent, diligent and patient with your work and deload to avoid recovery problems it won't matter much if sometimes you deload one week earlier or later across a year's worth of training.

 

Maybe it won't be optimal, but it'll probably be good enough.