This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

On Working Handstands

Started by iamtylerleonard, March 22, 2014 · 3 Replies · 235 Views

iamtylerleonard

Okay, this is a multi step question but it has to do with both working handstands in general. Coach has said in the past that because a handstand is not only a strength move but a skill move that not all sets count as working sets. So my question is this, what constitutes not enough working sets vs working sets?

 

If I can hold a good form handstand for 15 seconds once out of every 5 attempts is that too many? Should I focus on bringing that closer to something like 1 out of every 2 attempts, or every attempt being perfect (despite coach himself saying that it's not going to be like that?)?

 

And on another point, which mirrors the first question but has differences in it's own way, is it okay to skip handstands? So, if I were to work on handstands every day I worked on Foundation, if I were to skip handstands one day because they weren't working for me, and I was worried about teaching my body bad form (especially as it is still developing the muscle needed for handstands) would that be okay? I mean being that handstands are a skill, some days skills work better for us than others, or would it not be okay? 

 

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but they are ones that bother me. 

 

EDIT: Okay, to clarify, I can hold a consistant 3 second handstand, trying to build it up to more from there. BUT, I can hold a 13-20 second handstand (varies between there) 1 out of every 5 tries. So I was wondering if that would be considered too wild, and to go back to try again, or if this is okay and I should run mini cycles off of what I currently can do until it's a closer number. I've gotten my handstand programming out of handstand 1 so I already own that, but no where does it answer my two questions.

Rayne-William

Don't you have access to the Handstand specific sub forum?

 

Or did you download a pirated copy of the Handstand course off of one of several torrent file websites?

Alessandro Mainente

correct handstand is about alignment due to mobility work. inconsistent progress or failed attempts are a sign of lack on mobility and hs technique progression. no reason to work on something that is performed good 1 time every 5 attempts. this not makes sense, and you will learn more bad habits compared to good habits.

Bipocni

It's acceptable to make mistakes while you're learning, as you are, after all, still learning.

 

Mastery weeks still need to be hit exactly though.  If there's 5 sets, you gotta hit all 5 sets in one go, with no mistakes, before you move onto the next progression.