This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advancing

Started by Jon Douglas, March 21, 2014 · 14 Replies · 749 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi all,

So Im winding up testing through BL progressions next week; not expecting any trouble as my best BL up till now has been around 35s.

Wondering what's best to do after that. Restart BL on a 15 or 20 second schedule? Add a single long set before/after SARS? Its gonna be a while before Im ready to even consider R2.

Thanks,

Jon

Coach Sommer

Perhaps here is a goal for you to pursue; when he was 8yrs old and focusing on the basic basics, Allan had a 30s front lever. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas
Coach Sommer said:

Perhaps here is a goal for you to pursue; when he was 8yrs old and focusing on the basic basics, Allan had a 30s front lever. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I am definitely pursuing that.

So basically get back to training at my actual level without fretting about rings? :P Must set that in text as my desktop background...

Alan Tseng
Coach Sommer said:

Perhaps here is a goal for you to pursue; when he was 8yrs old and focusing on the basic basics, Allan had a 30s front lever. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Pretty nice of him to offer to turn himself into a sofa for your other students while they're resting in-between sets

Jon Douglas
Hmms said:

...your other students... resting in-between sets

Lol!

Alan Tseng

Hmm Jon,  how long do you rest in-between sets in H2 and R1?

Jon Douglas
Hmms said:

Hmm Jon,  how long do you rest in-between sets in H2 and R1?

More than enough to make me restless :)

My post was meant to be a joke about the insane work capacity of Coachs students but now that you mention it, I don't generally take breaks between HS sets, and fill the longer breaks in rings with mobility work and stretching.

Alan Tseng

Oh I ask because I was curious.

MT Nordic

Back lever pull ups!

BMJD
Coach Sommer said:

Perhaps here is a goal for you to pursue; when he was 8yrs old and focusing on the basic basics, Allan had a 30s front lever. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I got a question about basics.

 

Once you have built the level (in this case 30s front lever), do you start to add weights (maybe ankles) or go for longer duration holds?

 

This question popped up as I remember you had a student who was capable of doing 30 presses consecutively and you made the mistake of adding weights and capped at 30 when he should have just built up to 50.

 

Adding on to this, what GST elements are recommended with adding weights and which are the ones that benefit better from more reps or longer duration?

Alessandro Mainente

All the skills that you need to perform easily during a routine. You must consider that at certain level YOU NEED  a moment where you can "relax", on pbars is an handstand , on rings is a support, handstand, for the most advanced is a cross. how do you think you can perform a tippelt on pbars at the end of 30 seconds routine when you are out of energy? yes you can if you can sleep in press to handstand. if not the result will be in compromise the quality of the last element/passage.

BMJD

So what would you suggest once the minimum proficiency (F4 mastery standard) has been achieved, would you add weight in the 'rest' positions or increase the duration holds?

Joshua Slocum
BMJD said:

So what would you suggest once the minimum proficiency (F4 mastery standard) has been achieved, would you add weight in the 'rest' positions or increase the duration holds?

If you've built up to a 30s front lever, you should be moving on to more difficult skills. The overarching paradigm of GST is to always be moving to more complex movements with more disadvantaged leverage. Very rarely is it more productive to keep working the same skill with more weight/time. 

Jon Douglas

It's taken a little while, but I can admit I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew. I thought I was strong enough to run the whole 12 weeks cycle on R1 work, and that it would be enough caution to let me benefit; I have benefited, but it is already adding up far quicker than I am adapting. I am still advancing, but I have noticed that I am advancing less quickly than I was. Dropping SARS and shifting my focus back onto F series; possibly adding a third day of it.

 

This stuff is seriously and deceptively potent medicine; it's hard to swallow that something as simple as ring supports can interfere with my progress, or that dropping rings will have me stronger faster, but so be it :) it's another one of those cases where I can *handle* more, but it's not optimal right now.

 

What strikes me is that the stronger you are the better your positions are; ring supports for eg now put pressure straight onto my biceps, and feel completely different to how they did six months ago. I've got no interest in mastering a subpar support now and having to do it over again in another six months (and again after that, presumably).

 

Lesson learned. I'll keep some false grip work, but leave the rest until I'm ready to get more out of it :)

Jon Douglas

Not sure if directly attributable to this, but had a spectacular session today-- straight arm elements in particular strong since last week, but improvement all round. Clear to me that the decision is a correct one.

Related, killing my restlessness (while not wanting to mess with my currently v productive schedule) by adding the 10-minute sets of HS wall runs as warmups to my 2x a week HS days. My overhead strength, in fact my shoulders in general (press HS, HSPU, pl...) are relatively weak compared to the rest of my progressions and it seems that this is tailor-made medicine to rectify this at this stage. Shoulders are flexible and mobile, but not strong and stable. Will report my findings on the wall runs essay thread :)