This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Breaking up sets

Started by Jonathan Horowitz, March 21, 2014 · 4 Replies · 188 Views

Jonathan Horowitz

I'm to the point on some of the longer holds where the jumps because too much (e.g. week 5 to week 6 on the ABH) so my question is which is better: 

 

1) Complete the total volume, even if I have to break the sets into smaller sets - 

     example: 36s is what's programmed, work is performed to failure (24 seconds) and then the remaining 

     12s are completed after 20-30 seconds of rest

 

or 

 

2) Modify the programming to something that can be done completely, but perfectly

     example: instead of 4x36s, do 4x28s and work my way up to 4x36s over several cycles

 

 

Alan Tseng

Instead of 12 secs, add 6 secs (eg. 4x24s to 4x30s). If 6 secs still too hard then 3 secs

Jonathan Horowitz

Thanks, that's what I've been doing. Good to know I'm on the right track.

 

What about situations where I can complete at least one set? On FL/PE1 week 10 I'm hitting failure on my third and fourth sets (for example, today looked like 60/60/45+15/40+20) - should I keep doing it that way?

Alan Tseng

In that situation, for next week, I would still advance to W11 (5x60s) and still try for mastery.  If you can't pass W11, then after deload week (W12), restart mini cycle

dritar

In your case I'd go for mastery, as even if you don't get it it's worth the effort. Often the fresh perspective gained when doing a fifth set makes the effort of doing four become more doable, and when you can do four you're closer to doing five :).