Fish Oil Quality

Started by dgibbons, April 25, 2009 · 5 Replies · 3,685 Views

dgibbons

Lately Ive been buying the cheap Costco 180/120 Fish oil. I take about 8 capsules a day on average, but sometimes I load up and take 15-20/day, as Ive read articles by Charles Poliquin about megadosing.

Does anyone know if Im missing out on something by taking a lower quality fish oil? The ones that get good reviews, like Biotest Flameout, are extremely expensive.... Is there an advantage in taking the 180/120s since to get the same amount of total EPA/DHA you have to ingest more total oil? Or is ALL the benefit in the EPA/DHA?

Ido Portal

I would avoid low cost fish oil.

Supplements are one thing you usualy want high quality in, and fish oil is among the most important supplements to get in high quality.

The problems with low cost (costco is among the lowest I believe) is rancid oil, heavy metal contamination and more.

In this case not only you are not getting what you paid for (although paid very little), resulting in what people call 'expensive piss', but you are also getting BAD stuff into your body.

I would buy a pharmaceutical grade fish oil from a rep' company, it is not such an expensive supplement.

dgibbons

Thanks for the response. When this stuff runs out I will get something better.

Pbkid39

Get fish oil that says its from small fish (like sardines). From what I've been told, there's less of a chance for mercury contamination in these fish.

Gregor

I don't belive you would find mercury in fish oil supplements (fish are other storry). Mercury free labels on food supplements are more or less marketing. All supplements of well known firm are mercury free!!