This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP\PE3 - improving PPPs or not?

Started by EDM, March 18, 2014 · 4 Replies · 413 Views

EDM

Hi guys,
over the last weeks I've been working to improve PPPs folllowing the advices on the forum.

My mistakes were: not bringing chest close enough to the ground, loosing form during ascent ( not keeping a solid straight body and no PPT).

this is my last workout,first and last of 5x5:

Video #1



do you see any improvement vs the older videos below? am I on the right way?
I feel i'm now doing somehow better nd the exercise is harder, but just want to be sure and further refine the form id posisible.

 

Video #2

Video #3



Thank you so much as always!
lnick1975

That's what I notice. Looks like u need to try to go straight up and down, instead you're pushing up and back on your way up. For example if your hands are next to your naval at the bottom position then at the top position, if you were to draw a straight line upwards, your hands and naval should still line up.

thecolin

I'm going to have to disagree with saying not bringing your chest to the ground is a mistake. Looking at the bottom video, when you bring your chest to the floor you're just loosing the hollow position, but you're not actually getting any better ROM.

 

If I were you I'd maintain a hollow position and touch your quads to the floor, preferably with pointed toes. That way you'll be getting full ROM, but maintain proper form.

MattProulx
thecolin said:

I'm going to have to disagree with saying not bringing your chest to the ground is a mistake. Looking at the bottom video, when you bring your chest to the floor you're just loosing the hollow position, but you're not actually getting any better ROM.

 

If I were you I'd maintain a hollow position and touch your quads to the floor, preferably with pointed toes. That way you'll be getting full ROM, but maintain proper form.

I absolutely agree here, I started bringing my chest to the ground and no only have to crank my neck backwards, but I get no more ROM and lose potraction, the athlete in the video may look like his chest is closer to the ground but he also has bigger pecs, someone with bigger chest will touch the ground obviously better than someone with a small chest, like myself. 

EDM

Guys, thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

 

Probably I've misunderstood something in reading the forum and get the idea that some degree of forward-backward movement was normal in the PPPs.

 

At least it seems clear that is important to maintain a solid body hollow position, and I think I've improved in that

 

 

Looking at the bottom video, when you bring your chest to the floor you're just loosing the hollow position, but you're not actually getting any better ROM.

 

Thecolin, video #3 was indeed to show that mistake, which I think I've fixed now.

 

 

From the looks of it, your older videos are still better with that physical cue of the wall for tracking. You are still moving back during the ascent when you don't have that wall. Mark a spot on the floor and hover above it with all the leaning might you can muster during the whole rep. Do the PPP more slowly to really feel for your lean.

 

Zach,

looking at all my videos there is always a small back-forward movement (also in the foundation video, but very small). Maybe I'm missing something because if I keep my feet pointed on the ground, keep body solid, my body would move along an arch of a circumference (like a clock), so the head will be more forward at the bottom and a little bit behind at the top. Will see if I can correct this and maintain the head above the same point over the full ROM as you suggested.

 

In any case, at least it seems that during the exercise I maintain the same amount of lean of the initial planche position (although is not the max possible lean).

 

Just for a last check, this is an intermediate video where I was focusing more on keeping hollow body and PPT, without necessary touching chest to ground, and using the wall as reference point (but still there is some back-forward movement). Do you think is better than the others?

 

Video #4