This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ring support as a replacement due to injury

Started by Igor Czerniawski, March 17, 2014 · 10 Replies · 254 Views

Igor Czerniawski

Hey.

At the moment I can not do planche leans because of the shoulder injury. I replaced it with ring supports because it does not causes any problems in my shoulder. I used coaches template and worked my own mastery of 5 sets of 30 seconds with a quick 20 second stretch between sets. I was wondering what would be acceptable mastery for this exercise. Should I make it 5 sets of 1 min?

Thx.

Keilani Gutierrez

5x30 is fine. im curious, what kind of shoulder injury are you rockin? i remember not feeling too hot with tuck planches and ring supports at around the same time I had started training in Oct. 2012. 

 

did you injure your shoulder doing planche leans? or something else?

Bipocni

Ideally you'll want to work up to at least one 60 second hold with the rings turned out.

Igor Czerniawski

Before I started foundations I was training for iron cross, I actually was pretty close to it. One day without any warning signs I woke up with the pain in my shoulder, could not even lift my hand up. I have been doing rehab on my own, I am a physiotherapist , I never went to a doctor with it, here in UK they are completely useless, GP has no knowledge about this kind of things and the whole red tape means months before you see a specialist. Probably rotator cuff, it has been 4 months, much better but leaning aggravates this shoulder, so I better be patient.

Igor Czerniawski
Bipocni said:

Ideally you'll want to work up to at least one 60 second hold with the rings turned out.

Do you mean 5x1min with mobility exercise between them? 1 min I can do in one set.

Keilani Gutierrez
Igor Czerniawski said:

Before I started foundations I was training for iron cross, I actually was pretty close to it. One day without any warning signs I woke up with the pain in my shoulder, could not even lift my hand up. I have been doing rehab on my own, I am a physiotherapist , I never went to a doctor with it, here in UK they are completely useless, GP has no knowledge about this kind of things and the whole red tape means months before you see a specialist. Probably rotator cuff, it has been 4 months, much better but leaning aggravates this shoulder, so I better be patient.

oh i see what you mean! if you're a physio, then you know must know what you're doing. hope you recovery soon! 

Alessandro Mainente

inhability to lift the arm is usually referred to impingement syndrome.

Bipocni
Igor Czerniawski said:

Do you mean 5x1min with mobility exercise between them? 1 min I can do in one set.

It's hard to give an exact prescription for these things because they don't show up in Foundation, so trying to apply that template is sorta....

 

I'm pretty sure they show up in the rings series though, so you could always purchase that if you have the spare cash.

 

From what I remember, after RTO support is rings handstand, so if that doesn't aggravate your shoulder that's where I'd suggest you go next.

Igor Czerniawski
alex87 said:

inhability to lift the arm is usually referred to impingement syndrome.

Quite complicated to give accurate diagnosis in many cases without MRI. I said probably. Not being able to lift my arm was just one of the symptoms and it took quite a lot of time to heal, I wish it was just impingement .

Alessandro Mainente

Yes of course, in the field of DPT there are some reasonable test to see if it is a rotator cuff problem, a bicep problem or something more.

Joshua Slocum

If you can't do planche leans, you're not going to make any further progress in the sPL progressions. Fixing your shoulder issue should be a very high priority.